Chapter 5

Adrian's P.O.V

"Where were you at?" My mother follows me to the kitchen as I grab a bottle of water from the fridge. "I was invited to dinner at my friends house." She steps closer and gets in my face. I can see the anger in her hazel eyes. Her sandy red hair is a mess all over her head. "You could have at least called. Let it happen again and see what happens. That's not a threat... it's a promise." I cringe in fear and gulp my water down.

I walk in my room and kick of my shoes. I take off my pants and pull out some basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I pull them on and get under the covers. I stare at the wall and think about my boyfriend. I smile at the thoughts of him being mine.

Tomorrow I have to go back to school. I think about my one true bestfriend Kaila. Could I tell her about my weekend, or should I leave the subject alone? I fall asleep with those thoughts on my mind.

--------------------------------------------------------

When I wake up, the rising sun is shining through the curtains. I look at the clock and it's 6:45. I close my eyes for five more minutes and get out of bed. I take a ten minute shower and walk into my closet. I pull out a white nike shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and a pair of blue Nike slides. I grab my bookbag and my phone. I walk downstairs and make a hotpocket.

The pepperoni and cheese ooze out the sides. I grab a couple of napkins and wrap the hotpocket inside. I lock the door on my way out, and walk to my bus stop. I meet my friend Kaila as she walks out of her house. Her blonde hair is pulled back bouncing behind her as she hops down the steps. She smiles and waves excitedly at me. "Adrian, I've missed you so much! How was your weekend?!" The answer I was dying to avoid has a choice to either come out, or not. I told Ashely, how come I can't tell Kaila?

"It was eventful. I went to the Fort Beaufort game with my cousin and his girlfriend." I shove the now warm hotpocket into my mouth chewing slowly, hoping to avoid talking anymore. I could leave it at that right? "Oh. I stayed home and caught up on some much needed rest." I laugh as we make it to the bus stop. As soon as we get there, the bus comes into view. We get on the bus and walk all the way to the back to take our seats.

Fifteen minutes later, we make it to our crappy school. With a name like Washington, you would expect the best. Instead, we have a sign in the front of the main doors that hasn't been changed since the beginning of the year. 'Welcome Students' is still shown on the board in bold black letters. I shake my head in shame and walk to first period science. Kaila follows me and we get to our seats all the way in the back. As soon as the rest of the class walks in, they come to greet me.

I start a conversation with them all and watch in amusement as their eyes shine with intent on listening to me talk. "Could you all please leave us alone... please?" I motion between Kaila and I, and they groan getting up and walking to the front. "What was that about?" I stare at Kaila and wonder how much of a bestfriend she is. "How would you feel if I told you I was in love?"

"What?! With who?" Her eyes buldge out of her head, and she leans over in her seat. "Doesn't go here." She nods and I continue. "They're in high school." She pulls back and stares at me. "It's... a... guy." I stop and look at her reaction. Her smile slowly fades away and she squeals. "Yes!" She leans into my ear and whispers, "I've always wanted a gay bestfriend."

"Well great. Just don't tell a soul." She nods, and the teacher walks in at the perfect moment. "Okay today class, were going to discuss inertia." I groan and lean back in my chair. She continues, "Inertia is..."

------------------------------------------------

Joey's P.O.V

I walk up the steps of Fort Beaufort high and open the doors to look at the magicicent piece of artwork I call school. Skilled painters at our school painted a mural of a skyline view in the hallways. I always imagine living in a city like this. I walk to the cafeteria and breathe in pancakes and syrup. "Joey!" I look in the direction the voice came from. I see Brittany walking towards me. "What's up Brittany?"