The Guest

"Hey Liz, can you come here?" "Ya. Sure. So whats up?" " I need you to run to the store for dinner. We have company over today. Here is a list of the ingredients we need." I look at the list and see something strange. "Why do we need daffodils?" "Because I would like a center piece and our guest is allergic to roses. You do know were the store is, right?" "Ya. I would go there all the time with Crystal. We would get snacks and stuff if we got hungry. Hey can I keep my job?" "Sure. But as long as we still get to hand out." "I'll see if I can put back my hours." 

        I smile as I walk to the store. I pass my old house and my smile goes away. I could ask  Bill if Crystal could come over some time, right? I walk around the store getting the stuff on the list. when I got to check out, I see my friend Janis. She would always check me and Crystal out. "Hey! How you doing Liz! Wait, were is Crystal?" "I got adopted yesterday!" "Thats great! So are you and your new parents celebrating?" No. But my dad has a surprise guest over tonight. Thats why I'm here."

        I get back home but I realize I forgot one thing. "The daffodils!" I run out, throwing the groceries on the counter. Bill is stunned and just stands there as I run back to the store. I get there an go to the flower section. I start to run to the flowers because there is only one bouquet left. "Can you hand me that?" I ask the floral girl that works here. "The daffodils?" "Ya." "Sorry. No can do. Some one has preordered those. But you could always have a bouquet of daisies!" "I'll take those. Thank you." 

        I walk home thinking of what Bill was going to do. Would he be mad? Or would he be disappointed? What was I going to do?

        I'm home. What I'm I going to do now? I'm hesitating to go in the door. I slowly open the door. I see Bill sitting at the table with someone I can't quite recognize. I, very quietly, walk down the hall to the kitchen.  The floor must have creaked because Bill turned around and looked at me. I was surprised to see the expression on his face. He looked calm. He stood up and introduced me to the guest. "Liz, this is Anna Forentino. You have never met her, but I hope that you can get to know each other well." Thats weird. I could swear that I know her. Oh well. If she was important, I probably remember her. And what exactly is she doing here? "Hi. Nice to meet you Anna. My name is ..." "I know your name. Its Liz, right?" And now she knows my name. "Ok. So what are you doing here?" "I'm on a business trip. I work with your dad. He is such a nice person, did you know that?" Anna must have read my facial expression, because she could tell I was worried. "Don't worry. I'll only be staying one night. I'll be gone in the morning." 

        My dad pulled me to the side. "Why are you acting this way? Its like you don't even care that Anna is OUR guest!" "I'm sorry dad. I just can't remember where I know her from..." "Liz, if you are going to act like this, well, then you can't stay here. Because Anna is going to be here more often." 

        There was a long silence. I was trying to proses everything that Bill had just said. "Do you want to eat now?" "No. I think that I'm just going to go to my room." I run up the stairs to my room. Why is my dad being so protective of Anna? I need to find out who she really is.