Chapter 9

Someone says my name, but my dead eyes are unable to see who it might be. Why all the suffering? The devil has forced control over my life, but my faith and hope continues in Gods direction for glory and happiness.

"I will wait for You to lead me the way..." I say aloud to myself, although someone listens in on my personal conversation.

A feeling jerks me, and digs into my heart. My eyes whip open. Sitting up right, I don't see a single soul in sight. I could of swore someone had come to me, but maybe my imagination had been wondering at the time.

Although I feel too drained, I stand.

Then fast motion erupts. Screeching sounds of tires scrape the road that my feet lay against. I guess bad luck wants me dead, because within seconds my body flips out of control, into the air, and over a moving vehicle. But the unbearable pain never clogs me.

A scream, it isn't mine, but some other fearful souls. Something touches me, but the feeling never reaches the surface of my skin. Numbness tickles my bones. Although blurriness cuts into my vision, glowing lights shine upon my surroundings. I feel as if I'm being lifted to the sky, but my body never rises or moves from its place. I believe 911 is dialed, for a nearby voice is telling an address, but I am not completely sure. Scribbled peers of mine are seen faintly in the form of stick drawings running from the school building to see the commotion. I manage to make out a figure that I think is Max because I barely hear him mumble, "Stay. Stay. Stay." All the while I feel him crowding like a vulture at my side.

My heart waits to hear Gaven, but he never speaks during all of this.

Sirens from an ambulance screeches to a halt in front of the school.

I feel something rip my shirt open, and what I believe to be a man in a white uniform, shocks me. The sight I witness hurts my eyes, for I can't make out what it is I vision. Only oddly morphed objects are caught.

The whited uniformed man hollers loudly, "No pulse! Again!"

A faint voice echoes my name, and only an outline of a bright person reflects within the distance.

Again, I am zapped. Over and over they shock my chest and the feeling sort of pains my heart.

I want to scream.

The someone within the distance draws nearer, but before I am able to make out who it is, my soul is cleared from the cloudiness that had hurt my irises.

"We have a pulse!" The man in white yells. I witness tears enveloping the eyes of people around me. They watch in disbelief as my life was fading for just moments, but given a longer future to experience.

When I see her, my heart almost stops beating once more.

"No! Let me through!" She screams. "She's my sister!"

"She's alive," the man informs her, "She got lucky."

Kneeling down next to me, she says, "I'm so sorry. I should of come for you sooner," she inhales a deep breath. "Flora? Can you hear me? It's me, Katherine. I'm here. Everything's going to be alright."

My body is lifted up, but falls with total limpness. As I'm carried away, Katherine climbs in the back of the ambulance to ride with me.

Using all my strength, I mumble, "Light...the angels...took...pain."

* * * * *

On a cushion hospital bed is where I wake up.

Gathering strength, I say, "Am I broken?"

"They say it's a miracle that you only have a sprained ankle and fractured back." She explains.

"How did you know I was in trouble and needed you?"