Chapter 17

I awaken to a bright room of sunshine. The morning greets me in all it's beauty. Untangling from the covers, I hop in the shower to nimble myself to awareness, for I am still in a bit of a sleepy funk. With the job full filled, my senses are in gear, all prepared for another day of school. After brushing my teeth to squeaky clean with some floss (which I rarely use), I rip a brush through my damp hair. As of now, it has managed to grow back down to my shoulders with only a short amount of time. The fading blue of dye is hidden beneath my natural color of lightly brown. My blue eyes stand oddly against the mop of shaded blend with two colors that are quite dissimilar. 

Exiting the bathroom, I peer into the mirror to examine my presentation. I have decided to dress myself with skinny jeans that round my butt well, and a sweatshirt that almost swallows my arms. Realization hits me when I remember today is the last day of October. 

Satisfied with my image, I peek into Gavens bedroom only to find him snoozing, which is odd because he's always up and ready before me. I stride over to him, and place my cold palm on his bare back. Only a single twitch is caught from his body. His whole face is pressed into the pillow and so I wonder how he can even breathe. 

Leaning down closely, I say, "Gaven."

Nothing.

"Gaven." I repeat more louder. He stirs, rolls on his back, and then lies on his side with his back facing me. He is now laying on the other side of the bed.

"Hey Gaven." I say, hopping on his bed, creating lots of motion to wake him up. "Guess what today is." He groans lowly in response.

I sigh and say, "Ga-ven. Get up." I shake his broad naked shoulder. He tries to swat my hand away.

"Just ten more minutes." He grumbles frustratingly. I am on my knees, and try to lean over him. I press a finger to his eyelid and rise it so I can see his indigo right iris. 

"No. You need to get up now." He is obviously not listening to me, so I scuffle up an idea of what to do. 

"Gaven, don't make me." I say, but he doesn't hear me, for he is passed out into the land of dreams. 

Sweeping my hands down the nape of his neck, I halt and dig my fingers into his armpits, and then move lower to tickle his sides. He jerks and I am totally off guard. I am swung down roughly, and he grips my wrists all the while he sits on my legs.

"Woaw." I breath.

"Didn't see it comin' did ya?" 

I am so astonished by his rapid reflexes that I just manage to say something that sounds like a no. 

"I'm up now, I was just being a lazy butt." He swings off me, and stops with a stand. I just lay there and stare at him. His unclothed chest has a mark here and there from the way he slept last night, and some checkered boxers are worn. Tighty whiteys would be one thing, but boxers aren't so bad. He swaggers to his connected bathroom, and I can't stop myself from whistling.

"Enjoy the show." He says over his shoulder, and his right cheek lifts, indicating that he is smirking.

* * * * *

Tapping my pencil, I wrack my brain for the correct choice.

"Dumb test." I mutter to myself. Giving up, I circle a random answer, which I highly agree is wrong, but I shrug it off. When finished, I scribble my name at the top, and rise at the same time Mindy does.

Mrs. Surgent gives me a disgruntled expression as I pass her my Algebra 2 test. She examines the paper a moment, and then scowls at me, obviously furious that I could care less about my grade in her class.