Chapter Seventeen Pt. II

By night fall, the old fence was removed and the base of the new, stronger one was up. All the weapons, food, and miscellaneous items were in separate rooms and hidden places. Everyone had their ration of food and were now preparing for sleep, or their turn for sentry.

   "Ashton, honey?" I peeked into he and Chris' room. Ashton sitting on Chris' bed with the old teddy bear being squeezed fluff-less by his unforgiving arms. "Sweety, would you like to lay with Balz and I?"

 He lifted his head mere inches, tear trails and puffy cheeks, "I miss Chrissy. He-" He hiccupped and held back a sob. "-he was like Daddy used to be."

"Oh baby." I rushed to his side, giving my little brother all the love I could, just hoping it would suffice for Mum, Dad, and now Chris' great love. "You know they will always be watching over you and I. Wherever they are, they will protect and stay with you."

"But he can't hug me. He can't fix me food. He can't play with Andy and me either!" Ashton threw the teddy bear across the room and pulled the duvet over his head. I sighed and rubbed his back. His body started trembling, yet he refused to move from Chris' bed.

"Fine, i'll just lay in here with you." His head popped out, eyes squinting. "No. I'm grown up. Chris taught me how to kick undead ass."

"Watch it. I love you hon. Come to the room at anytime if you need me." I kissed his forehead and left the room.

***Three weeks later- 4:58 p.m.***

   Nothing major has happened. I'm shocked, actually. Ash had begun her morning sickness phase, Jeanne a bit ahead of her on that. The fence is finished and completely barbed up, research had been conducted. A poor soul that Jinxx had nailed a bullseye on was the test subject. Jet, Chey, and I had managed to figure out what spell was used. Sadly, no reversing or cure of it.

  The zombies had grown stronger, more intelligent, they were more aware of their surroundings.

"Hey, Josh." I smiled as I sat leg to leg with him. His beautifully bright new eyes shown down on me happily.

"Hey, cutie. What's wrong?" Concern shown in his inhuman eyes.

"Ashton. He misses Chris so much. Dad used to be the same way. Always loving to have fun and be adventurous, but never weak. This is all so much for such a young child. For anyone." I choked up terribly. "I miss Chris too. Even- even Shane. None of them deserved this!" I grasped his shoulders and let the tears flow.

Not that I enjoy crying over the brutally deceased, but- That's it! My head shot up, Balz immediately alert. "I've got it! I have this ring that Shane had given me years back, if I can find it, we can contact him and find out how this all started maybe!" I was nearly bouncing off the bed, Balz giving me a weird look.

"Oooookay. Just, please stop bouncing on my lap." Face palm. Good job, Keller.

"Oops. Sorry Balz.....and balls." I burst into a fit of laughter, falling on my back. When I reopened my eyes and wiped the tears, Balz was on top of me, he looked me in the eyes, held my hips firmly, bent down to my face and smirked.

"No worries Babes, you'll pay for that later." He hopped up and held his hand out to me. We raced down the halls, banging on doors and yelling for a house meeting.