Chapter 35 : New Troubles

A/N : Hey guys, I'm sorry for the long wait for a new chapter. It's been three months since I updated, because of a massive plot wall, writer's block, and because I realised that I wrongly understood the concept of entropy. The Incubators are in fact trying to combat entropy (the destruction of the universe/heat death of the universe), and to do so, they need to harvest energy in the form of emotional fluxes given off by Puella Magi at the moment they turn into Witches. I've been writing like as if entropy is a thing that the Incubators have been trying to preserve, so I would like to draw your attention away from that and now, instead see that the Incubators are merely trying to oppose entropy. Some terms will change here and there, and I hope it's not too jarring.

***

Ryubey was unsettled. He paced the laboratory on agitated paws, running through his mind what Kyubey had told him just minutes ago. Watching him was the impassive sable-furred Xyubey.

"Three Puella Magi, dead...! I can't believe this!" he muttered darkly to himself. "Just what is Homura Akemi up to, slaughtering them? She is very well aware that we need them to despair and turn into Witches in order to harvest energy. This... thing she's doing, it's not helping at all!"

The Researcher, Xyubey, cocked his head to one side. "These killings may have something to do with protecting Madoka Kaname and keeping her from Awakening to her Goddess self. After all, you've just confirmed, with the help of the Earth Shaker, that she is indeed the Goddess of the Law of Cycles. This means a lot of things for us Incubators... and it also explains why Akemi put Kaname in the Fake City, away from our reach. She probably realises that if we know about Kaname's existence as a Goddess, we would control her and use her for our own gains. Something that Akemi would want to avoid."

"It makes sense," nodded Ryubey slowly. "But... the main problem still persists - why is Akemi murdering the Puella Magi with no seemingly sane reason?" His snout wrinkled up with confusion.

"I'm sure there's a reason behind her actions, we've just yet to find out why," said Xyubey curtly. "I'm assuming it has something to do with stopping Madoka Kaname from Awakening."

"Hmph." The purple Incubator huffed thoughtfully. "You do have a point there. If there are no Puella Magi or Witches to take away to the Law, then she would not Awaken and remain human forever... Why Akemi wants Madoka to remain human though, is beyond my comprehension."

"It is beyond mine too. But... that is why Akemi also made her weapon of mass destruction, the Fusion Witch - to wipe out all remaining Puella Magi on the face of Earth. This would mean serious problems for our energy harvesting endeavours."

Ryubey shook his maned head solemnly. "It seems that we would have to depend on the Trinity to deal with the Demon and her abomination. Once Akemi is out of the way, then we have to manipulate the Trinity to follow our orders, then capture the Goddess and make her abandon the Law of Cycles. And... if Kiyomizu is really our Saviour, then she will slay Kaname for us, and become the next Goddess... One that will ensure that energy is harvested to stop entropy, no matter the cost!"

"Indeed." Xyubey closed his eyes. "Let us hope that our prophecy comes true, and Kiyomizu is indeed our Saviour. With Akemi in reign, we have only lost too much of the precious energy needed to combat entropy. The date of the heat death of the universe draws closer without our intervention."

"Then in the name of delaying entropy, I will make sure that Kiyomizu becomes the Messiah..." mused Ryubey, his ears flicking rapidly. "Forget about her being the Angel of Madoka Kaname... She will be Satan reincarnate; she will betray her own Goddess... and slay her for us."