Chapter Five: He is Your Brother

(Photo from scrapbook: My first ABBA poster, above my bed)

No one appeared at the door. George tried again at coaxing this mysterious person into the flat.

"Come on, love. We're here at the flat. Please come in. Please?"

Slowly, almost as if she was afraid to come into view, a young girl (probably younger than me) drifted into view. She had ducked her head so her face was completely covered by her hair. And what hair! Long blonde fairy princess waves past her shoulders. Her fringe was pushed away from her face and out of her eyes by a black Alice band. She had the most beautiful blue eyes, outlined with black eye pencil, making them appear larger. Her skin was pink and rosy, and she smelled of a wonderful bubblegum perfume. She smiled shyly at me and Mum through her long fair locks.

Standing next to her made me feel very small and ugly. I knew I wasn't ugly - in fact, I was decent as adolescent girls go - but I didn't have beautiful blonde hair or big blue eyes. I had dark brown hair that was too thin and straggly to wear loose, so I either tied it up on top of my head or in a simple ponytail. My face was thin and pale, not at all pink or rosy-cheeked. I smelled of clean laundering and hairspray; not a bad smell, but pretty tame compared to this girl's bubblegum scent. My eyes weren't blue either, more muddy brown. It was dead depressing.

I stared at this beautiful Goldilocks girl. She stared back at me. It was so strange. I'd never seen her before in my life, but it felt like I knew her.

"Who are you?" I whispered.

The girl didn't get a chance to reply. George jumped in and introduced her himself. "Michelle, Georgia? This is Serenity, my daughter."

"Another daughter?" Mum said, goggle-eyed. "But... If you don't mind my asking, George, darling, but how did she come to be?"

"Oh, um... failed relationship," George replied awkwardly. "The mother cleared off the minute my Reeny was born. I didn't want to give her away, so I raised her myself."

I didn't really believe him, but Mum's face creased up as if she was in pain. I understood why. Her own birth and upbringing had been similar to this Serenity girl's. She had told me the story plenty of times before...

"Why did you bring her here?" I asked, pointing at Serenity.

"Well, I thought it would be nice for her to meet you," George said. "She's your sister."

Sisters? How could we be sisters? We didn't look a thing alike. Serenity was blonde and beautiful, a real little fairy princess. Compared to her, I was more of a plain, stupid goblin than anything else. Not remotely like a fairy princess.

"Sister," Serenity said quietly, speaking for the first time. Even her voice was lovely, like one a Disney princess would have; soft and sweet to match her appearance. "I've always wanted a sister. What's your name?"

I swallowed, my throat so dry that I could barely speak. "Georgia," I croaked.

Serenity laughed. "Really? Well, you must be Dad's daughter too with a name like that!"

I didn't react. Mum, however, practically exploded into fireworks.

"Oh, how lovely!" she crowed. "I was getting so worried about my Georgia not having any siblings, and I didn't really fancy the idea of getting knocked up and having a baby myself. And now I can't believe my luck! A beautiful, ready-made sister for my Georgie, knocking at my own front door."

She smiled at Serenity in an utterly sickening fashion. Serenity smiled back nervously. Mum then gestured for both her and George to step inside so they could have a proper visit. George thanked her, took Serenity's tiny, white hand and led her inside. Serenity skipped along behind, her feet glittering in their sequined pink ballet pumps. Mum shut the door and followed them. I trailed in the rear, a scowl permanently stuck on my face.