Chapter Thirteen: Behind Blue Eyes

(Photo from scrapbook: (L to R: Me, Clare, Serenity, and Adam, 1977)

I confronted Serenity the second she walked in the front door. She looked a little bit hot and flustered, her rosy cheeks pinker than ever, but she said it was because she'd been running.

"Excuse my appearance," she said, smoothing a few flyaway strands of hair. "I wanted to get home as quickly as I could."

"Yeah, sure," I said sarcastically. "Why the hell are you so late? School must've finished ages ago!"

"I have netball practice on Monday," said Serenity. "That's why I'm home later than I should be."

"Are you sure about that?"

She nodded, seeming so genuine and innocent that I almost relented altogether. But I wouldn't be diverted. Something seriously weird was going on and it was up to me to find out what.

"Did you really go to netball practice?" I asked, arms folded across my chest.

"Yes, I did. I said."

"Are you sure you didn't slip out of school to meet up with that Adam bozo?"

Serenity stated at me. "No. Maybe. Yes! Oh, Georgia, please don't tell Dad!"

"I'm not going to tell - but I should. What are you playing at, Reeny? I can't believe that you'd do something like this! I mean, I don't think I'd have the courage."

"It's not that terrible," said Serenity, but her voice was wavering like she was on the brink of crying.

"I just can't credit that you're up for it," I continued. "You and Adam - the girliest girl and the drippiest drip - of all the likely people!"

"Georgia, I don't think -"

"Yeah, you don't think. And neither does he! What the hell does he think he's doing? You're only a little girl!"

"No, I'm not. What do you mean, anyway?"

"Adam's got no right to be playing around with you like this. Tell him I'll punch his stupid, fat head in if he hurts you in any way."

"Of course he'd never hurt me!" Serenity cried. "He doesn't do anything to me. I never even said I met up with him!"

"Yes, you did! What the hell is going on, Reeny?" I cupped her cheeks in my hands so she was forced to look at me. "I don't know what to say, other than you're too young for this kind of bullshit. You and Adam don't do anything really full-on, right? Is it just kissing?"

Serenity's eyes didn't quite meet mine. "Okay, you caught me. Adam and I did meet up after my netball practice and went off together."

"There! I knew it!" I released my grip and shoved my hands in my pockets. "Have you met up with him in the past?"

"Yes," said Serenity. "We usually walk home together, but sometimes we go off into town and -"

"And have a little bitty bonk down a side alley!" I interrupted. "For God's sake, Serenity. Why did you have to get yourself in such a mess? I thought you were sensible!"

"I am sensible!" she snapped. "What are you talking about? What's all this about 'bonking' or whatever you said?"

"Don't act like you don't know. You're obviously going to have a baby, no thanks to that ginger-haired freakshow."

"What?!" Serenity stared at me like I had gone completely mad. "Of course I'm not, idiot!"

"But I found a scrap of paper in your private bathroom. I think it's from a pregnancy testing kit."