Chapter Twenty-One: Thank You for the Music

Quick Note: This isn't really an update, but more of a chapter rearrangement. There's new content, though! Enjoy! :)

(Photo from scrapbook: Dad giving baby Serenity a sip of his tea ♡)

Mum and I stayed at the Harrison household until George's fever went down. It took a week or so, but we got there in the end. We had to stay longer, though, for safety reasons. George was still pretty lightheaded and weak even after he got better. Mum told me it's just a symptom of pregnancy; your immune system starts focusing on the baby rather than you.

"It happened a lot when I was expecting you," said Mum. "Actually, I fainted once or twice 'cause I was so dizzy."

"Rubbish," I said semi-seriously. I hadn't made her that sick, had I? If I really had, then I'd be pretty bummed out.

Mum grinned and ruffled my hair. "You're right, love. It was rubbish. I'm just teasing."

"Daft old bat," I said, giving her a playful shove.

"Silly little weirdo," Mum retorted, shoving me back.

That sort of conversation went on between us during our stay. Other than that, Mum was preoccupied with other things. She became a mother to all of us, not just me. Cooking, cleaning, nursing, washing, planning - you name it, she willingly took it on.

With Mum being so busy with other matters, Serenity and I spent a lot of time together. Sometimes it was just us two, other times it was with Adam and his two auburn-haired sisters, Sylvia and Clare. I wasn't entirely sure about this arrangement at first but it turned out to be a right old laugh. Adam was extremely funny, cracking stupid jokes one after the other. Sylvia was more insightful and a brilliant conversationalist. Clare didn't really join in on the talking; she preferred chasing butterflies and "training" her pet ladybirds.

It was nice to have friends who actually cared about me. My old friends from Grandpa's neighbourhood were okay, but I could tell they weren't overly thrilled having me tag along after them all the time.

Serenity and I were sitting in her bedroom one evening, listening to her newest ABBA record (simply titled The Album) and playing checkers. We were trying to multitask - both studying the record sleeve and trying hard to memorize the lyrics printed on the side while playing our intense game of checkers. Then, completely out of the blue, a loud, angry commotion erupted from somewhere further up the hall. Serenity and I froze. I quickly switched off the record player so we could tune in to the ferocious barney.

"Oh Lumme," I grumbled. "Another argument?"

"That's the third one today!" Serenity murmured worriedly.

"You don't understand anything!" George was screaming. "Honestly, why did you think it was a good idea to ask me something so stupid?!"

"I only asked you what time it was," Ringo replied feebly.

"There's a goddamn clock on the wall!" George retaliated.

"I didn't ask you where a clock was! I asked you what time it was!" Ringo.

Serenity and I stared at each other, our eyes widened in alarm. We continued to listen.

"Do you have any idea what I'm going through?" said George. "Do you have any idea how much stress I'm constantly under?"

"Stress?" Ringo repeated. "What stress? You hardly do anything all bloody day!"

"Oh, right. I'm sorry," said George. He sounded seriously ticked off rather than sincere. "I haven't been doing a lot other than carrying your goddamn child!"