Renee

I rub my eyes at my laptop, reasons why I shouldn't have went to The Killers concert last night, I think as I try to remember what my essay into Princeton is about. Oh yeah, about how it's like having my dad come out as gay at my sixth birthday. There's a knock on my door and Nathan, my dad's husband sticks his head in with a smile. I still like him more than my mom.

"Re, would you mind finishing that the library or Clara's house?" I shake my head, library banned me after accidentally blasting The Killers not realising that my headphones weren't completely in and Clara's in rehab after her parents found her weed stash so her house is no go. "Me and your father want to be alone tonight. Is there anywhere you can go?" He sounds worried and I think hard.

"I could ask Max if I can hang out at hers for a while." He smiles before closing the door. I find my phone and text Max, Can I work at your house? Dad and Nathan want house to themselves. She sends back a smiley face and I pack up my laptop. I walk past the kitchen and hear Dad arguing with Nathan.

"We can't tell her, telling her puts her in more danger than she is," I stop and listen, what danger is there? "She couldn't handle the truth about what's out there, I barely could and she'll be questioning everything I've ever told her again." I questioned everything after the 'I'm gay' talk and still do sometimes.

"Andrew, she's your daughter," I remember when they got married and I screamed at him that he wasn't my dad but now he is. "She'll find out if you're right-"

"I know I'm right, Artist, Warrior, Priestess, Bait and Researcher are dead," I know dad's touching Nathan's shoulder. "I'm next which means both of you so you need to give her a lift, tell her you want to make sure she's actually going to Max's...I don't want her to be alone after I'm gone." I hear someone walk towards the door so I make it look like I've just walked down the stairs. Nathan smiles at me and hands me money.

"I hope that's enough for your share of the pizza or whatever you get," He kisses my forehead and I've a bad feeling. "Drive safely, Re." Dad looks at him angrily but smiles at me waving. I wave back before leaving the house and locking the front door. I get in my Prius and start the car then drive to Max's. It takes ten minutes due to no traffic which is weird at six pm on a Friday. I pull up and feel a tug on my heart. I had felt it when my Grandma had a heart attack and when mom drove off a cliff, something has happened. I pull my phone out and dial dad, nothing. I dial Nathan, still nothing. I text Max that I'm not coming over anymore and I drive home but there's traffic now so I'm very impatient. It takes a hour and when I drive home, there's cops swarming the place. I get out of the car and run towards the house but I'm stopped by a cop.

"Please, I live here..." I trail off when two bodies are taken out and I shove past the cop to towards them. "Is that Andrew and Nathan Baudelaire?" The coroner nods and I start to cry. A cop walks me to the boss about this. She smiles at me and leads me to a car.

"I'm detective Montgomery and I'm sorry for your loss," I sit down on the hood and wipe my tears away. "Where were you?"

"I was going to a friend's when, this is going to sound crazy," She gives me a look and I look at the ground. "When I felt a tug on my heart and before I left, they were saying I was in danger so it made me drive home." She nods like it's normal and she hands me a card.

"If you think of anything useful, please call me," She's about to walk away but stops and looks at me. "Do you have anywhere to stay for two days?" I shrug and call Max hoping she'll answer.

"Nee, you okay?" I try to speak but I can see the CSIs holding severed fingers in a bag and vomit. "Renee, are you okay? Answer me." Montgomery takes me phone off me and I vomit again.

"Hello, this is Detective Montgomery and your friend's dads are dead," I hear swearing from the phone. "Would it be possible for her to stay with you for a while?" She nods and pats my back, my stomach has run out of  food to shove up my throat. "It's a good idea to pick her up and I'll help her get stuff for a couple of days. Bye." She leads me to the house and the second I walk in, I know they had died in the kitchen. There's blood everywhere and I look away as I'm led up stairs. Upstairs looks normal except my door's open and I remember closing it.

"I closed my door before leaving," Montgomery takes out her gun and walks into the room. I follow close behind and see a box with a weird symbol on it where I keep my bags.

 I follow close behind and see a box with a weird symbol on it where I keep my bags

"This was my dad's," I look at Montgomery who puts her gun away. "He said that I wasn't allowed to even look at it unless I heard ringing coming from it." I pick it up and I recognise the symbol on as Norse protection...Dad didn't believe in that stuff. I set it down and find one of my bags. I put in two band tees and a pair of denim skinny jeans. I also put in a picture of the three of us at the Science museum in DC before I tried the astronaut food which was disgusting. The box is is there too but I don't remember putting it in there but with the day I have, my eidetic memory is probably cracking under pressure. We walk out of the house and reporters are behind the tape, taking pictures.

"Hold them back," Montgomery pulls me through and I can see Max who looks pissed. "Is that your friend?" I nod and she pulls me towards Max. A camera is shoved into my face and Max loses it.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Max runs forward and punches the guy with the camera. "HER DADS JUST DIED!" The reporters leave me alone and Max hugs me leading me to her mini. I get in and she does too but she hugs me. "I'm so sorry-" There's ringing coming from my bag but my phone is in my pocket so I open it and see the box. I open it and answer the very old phone.

"Who is this?" I hear someone barely whisper. "What?"

"Where's Genius?" A boy asks and I don't understand. "Where's Andrew Baudelaire?"

"Dead, this is his daughter," I hear someone kick something. "Who are you and why are you looking for my dad?" I look ahead and see a girl standing in the middle of the road. "WATCH OUT!" Max swerves and we hit a tree.

"Are you okay?" I cough and see the girl walk towards the car. She's flickering. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm going to live," I blink and the girl is in front of me. Her eyes are gone and she has worms in her hair. "Help..." I lose conscious and I can hear the girl chuckle.