Derek

"Derek?" The second I hear Mai's voice, my heart stops. Raum turns around and I see all three of them, Hannah, Renee and Mai. Mai looks sick as she leans against Renee. "I know you can hear me," Cole and Toby run to my wall to watch. "Fight him." Raum laughs.

"You really think that whatever your relationship is," I kick the wall but it just hurts me. "Can defeat me? Your grandmother could make corpses come and kick me out of bodies while you're trying to...?" I try to move a body part and I make my hand twitch, yes! Mai stands up on her own, looking angry, please don't punch my body.

"Use Derek's feeling to make him gain control again," She points at the hand that I make into a fist. "Which seems to be working." Damn it, Mai. My body drops as Raum appears. The girls run forward as Raum punches me in the face and I fall over. I sweep his legs from underneath him and he lands with a thump. Mai sprinkles something over my body and I keep Raum busy. I let him give me a head lock and I kick him in the nuts over and over again. Eventually Raum lets go and falls to his knees groaning. My body starts to convulse and Mai doesn't look worried. I punch Raum in the face and he falls over, unconscious but I don't take over yet. I look at Toby and Cole.

"Where are you guys?" They run over to their walls and check but Raum gains consciousness again. "Shit," My body is levitating and my wall is flickering which I think means I'm gaining control again. Raum runs forward and I punch him in the nuts which makes him falls over before I stomp on his nose. "That's for Emilia," I kick him in the stomach three times. "Quinn and Peony," Cole and Toby throw something into my wall just before I open my eyes. I sit up and Mai hugs me. "Hey." That's the worst thing to say, I think as Mai slaps me in the face.

"It's been two months and you say hey?" I nod which is the wrong thing to do and the others are barely containing their laughter. "You complete and utter-" I kiss her and she deepens it. I hear Renee and Hannah coughing awkwardly. We stop and I try to stand up but I fall over as I notice the pain in my back. I reach behind me and my hand comes back bloody. "Derek?!" Renee and Hannah help her carry me to the lift and I start to feel sleepy. Renee notices.

"Derek, don't fall asleep," She looks at Mai and she seems very concerned. "I think Raum did something before he...?" She looks at me and I understand what she's asking.

"Before he started beating me up because someone," I shoot Mai a look. "Told him I was taking control but he didn't do anything unless it was before he let me see which means he knew you were coming." I cough up some blood and I'm very scared. Mai touches my shoulder as Hannah dials 911 for an ambulance.

"Don't you even think about dying," I smile and take her hand. "I said that we'd start dating after I saved you so stay alive." I look at Hannah.

"Toby's really sorry, we told him to never tell," I smile at her. "But he cared enough to tell you and-" I cough up more blood and I'm starting to see dark spots. "Sorry to rush you but we need to hurry up," The lift stops and we hurry out as the mine starts to shake. I blink at the sunlight and we see medics running towards us. A burly man takes me off them and carefully brings me to the ambulance. "Mai..." Mai is there, jogging in black sneakers, not leaving me. "Don't leave. I can't be alone." Mai gets into the ambulance and holds my hand. Renee and Hannah watch as the doors close and we drive away. The medic looks at Mai as he gives me a mask and check the wound.

"What happened?" Mai's shaking. "Here." He gives her a blanket for the shock and she takes a deep breath.

"We were exploring out in the Bayou, me and Ha-ley, Haley," The medic thinks it's just shock that she stuttered her friend's name. "We grew up around here so we knew how not to bother the alligators," She breathes heavily. "We decided to go into the mines and Derek fell back onto a pickaxe. We should've stayed at home." I wince as I squeeze her hand and the medic gives me morphine.

"You're going to be fine, kid," He coughs awkwardly. "Do you have insurance?" I nod as my eyes droop. "Stay awake, understand?" I try really hard not to but it's really hard. Mai leans close to my ear.

"Do you want me to tell you a story?" I nod. "There was a boy with a dick older brother and a step brother that everyone looked up to. He never thought he'd ever have someone really care about him except his best friend and mom until this girl came along," I know this story, it's mine. "She only ever had a slightly psycho grandmother and they connected. Before their already messed up lives got even more messed up, they gave in but the girl had been in love with his brother so his feelings were rejected. Then he was kidnapped and she let herself feel," The ambulance stops and the engine shuts off. "She promised herself that if they got the chance, they'd go on a date and let nature take its course. The girl would like it if he didn't die." I drift off as I'm carried out on the gurney and find myself back in the prison. Toby and Cole jump when they see me. Cole runs over and hugs me.

"I was worried that you were dead," He pulls away. "Did you get away?" I nod, looking confused.

"Looks like I come back here when I'm asleep," Toby's shaking. "What's he been doing now?" Cole closes his eyes and I'm scared.

"He's going back to Renee's town," Why am I still scared? "He's been torturing Guardians to find Renee's friend Max. Warn her that Max opens the next gate." I wake up to light being shone in my eyes and a pretty doctor's smiling at me.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Koothrappali," She eases me onto my stomach. "I'm going to stitch you up and you're going to tell me why the Unseen is active again." I drift off again before it registers, she knows about the Unseen.