Chapter Seven

"Here we are." Sam utters. My smile at her is enough to say that I had fun today. If only I listened to her this morning then we wouldn't have the same topic throughout this ride and had a new one instead.

"What are your plans tomorrow?" She asks scrolling through her phone. "I have filming tomorrow in Downtown. Why?" Unbuckling my seatbelt, I open the car and step outside.

"We can party at night." Her eyes are dancing with mirth when she said it. "Okay." I know this is probably a bad idea but I don't care. As long as there's distraction, I will go for it, and I really had fun the last time we went out. Troy is an exception to that fun.

"Haltson, are you ill?" Her eyes are wide, selfsame to big saucers. "What am I ill? I'm fine." My eyebrows are furrowing in plenary bafflement.

"No, you're not. You just consented to my invitation within a second. There is a reason, what is it?" She is almost shrieking at me. I don't know what the fuss is about. Sam hates it when it would take me days to agree to her plans and now that I did agree to her without making her wait for ages, she's freaking.

"I just wanna go outside. That's all." I say with a shrug. Eyeing me with dubitation, I flip her off. "Do you want me to go with you or not?""Of course I want you to go. But it doesn't mean that I won't dig up why you're suddenly like this." Sam. Shaking my head is the only gesture I know of towards her behavior. "Whatever you say, Sam." After terminating our conversation with a little wave of goodbye, the Bentley roars to life and there she goes.

Feeling melancholic while walking on the pathway, memories of Jamie comes hitting me hard. His soft-like-cotton lips, the impossible intensity in his eyes, the way my name rolled off his tongue, it's all killing me.

You put this on yourself. She says rolling her eyes to the heavens.

Yeah. I did. Now I have to pay for the consequences.

This time, there's only the darkness and haunting memories of him. I walk faster to the house, I need to talk to mom about anything, join her if she's busy baking cupcakes in the kitchen. Just a little thing to keep him at bay.

Damn. I had it bad.

Walking in the living room in hopes of seeing mom sitting on a couch with a book on her hand, I stop dead on my tracks. What the hell is going on here?

Father is talking to Troy casually.

"Dad." My father hears my call. He must've noticed my stunned expression because of the mere lour etched on his face. "Ah, there she is." He utters to the man across him causing Troy to turn and look at me. Fuck.

"What are you doing here?" I mumble forthwith at him. His eyes glister with the same waggery he never fails to show every time he sees me.

"That is not a proper way to greet a visitor, a friend, even." Dad spits while his look surfeited with vexation stares right through me, making a lump in my throat causing me to stop my words from leaving my mouth. He shifts on his position and stands, bidding his goodbye to Troy. "It's nice meeting you, sir." Troy replies. Walking past me, I think he would keep on walking but he didn't. "The kid wants to talk to you." He says. What? Someone please ameliorate the muddle this thing constructed in my mind. "What? Dad, that's Troy." I whine in a hushed tone. "I'm aware of that. We already talked about the whole controversy. It's all done." Thank God. I can't keep that thing following me like a shadow.