Chapter 4

I was 14 when I ran away from School. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I just didn't want to be there. I couldn't deal with the teachers muttering "poor girl" as they passed me in the coridoor, or the ones that looked away because the couldn't decide how to react. I spent some time sitting in the park with a bag of chips from Dave's Chippy on the corner. I like Dave. He doesn't ask questions. In the end, I didn't really have to decide where to go, It kinda just happened. I went to visit my Dad.

*Ping*

Stupid phone, can't it see that I have a headache!

*Ping*

Okay, I'm coming!

*33 NEW MESSAGES*

*Ping*                                                                                                                                                                          Txt from Sophia

Is it ack true he hit you? RING ME

*Ping*                                                                                                                                                                         Txt from Stacey

OMG was he cheating on u?

*Ping*                                                                                                                                                                          Txt from Jess                                                                  

News is Aaron's single!!Can i hav him now?

*Ping* *Ping* *Ping* 

Aggh! I turn off my phone then chuck it against the floor and the back comes off, the battery ending up under my sofa.

Instead I switch on my laptop, only to be bombarded with more questions and status updates. Why do people want to know every tiny detail of everyone's intimate life? Is gossip a basic human requirement like food, oxygen and water? Oooh look how interesting, I really wanted to see a picture of your sleeping cat or hear that the guy you fancy nearly looked at you.

I log onto my emails but apart from plenty more questions and loads of spam which I instantly delete, nothing from chelseafan456.

I look back at our previous emails and read them over and over. I imagine his blue eyes and his laughter.

I look at my room, at my face in the mirror, at the marks on the wall and back at the emails. I shut the laptop.
I realise how I must seem so weak. Like a desperate child telling him my problems. I decided years ago that I don't need anyone. I stopped caring because that is the only way you won't get hurt. But I read his words again and again, I picture his smile and me laughing with him. I refresh the page desperate for more.

I remember when the doctors told my mum I might react like this, that I need support as much as she does. I hated the doctors.
Mum and Dad had been arguing for a while. Mum used to say he lived in a different world. Perhaps thats why I visited him that day that I ran away, to be in his world. She told me he used to surprise her with romantic trips and leave her hidden love notes around the office. I remember Christmas Day and telling my parents that I was to old for Christmas, but still secretly believing in the magic. I got a pair of Doc Martins and remember waiting to show them off to the family at dinner. The next day Dad was gone. Mum told me he had taken my shoes back to the shop and spent the money on whisky. She said we wouldn't see him again for a while. She said I could have new shoes. I didn't care about the shoes.

I dive onto my sofa, pull my knees up to my chest and hug my plush cusion. I blame it on hormones kick out at my bag and the book 'Gcse Science - revision guide' falls out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------