Chapter 3

"I suppose I am feeling better. Uh, thanks." Canada said, her cheeks reddening. Normally she'd hide behind her bear, but since he wasn't there, she ducked her head, and played with her hair.

"You are sure? You took a long time to thaw out." Russia told her.

"Maybe a little...hungry?" Canada nearly whispered the last word, scared she was burdening the group in front of her by asking for food.

"Yes, you will probably be needing food now, with vodka, yes? Vodka makes everything better."

"Is there something you would like to eat?" Hungary asked the country, seeming to not to hear her brother's vodka add-in.

"Pancakes?" Canada answered, with a twinge of hopefulness in her voice. The thought of the soft batter, bathed in maple syrup, and a side of juice, made her stomach growl loudly.

"Oh, I don't know I know how to make those..."

"Oh, don't worry! I'd be happy make them. I mean I know how to make some good ones, I think anyway."

"There is no need for that, I can have Latvia make for you." Russia said, looking at said country with a dangerous smile. Latvia shook slightly, attempting to hide behind the other two Baltics, who looked about ready to dive to the side, should Russia decide to pursue the cowering country.

"Uh, no. I mean, I love making them..."Canada told him. She looked to Russia and gave him a smile, "I can even add vodka to yours."

He seemed excited at this, but made the Baltics go into the kitchen and help her with whatever it was that was required for making pancakes. When she walked into the kitchen, after the Baltics who were shaking so hard that one would have thought they had been the ones out in the snowstorm. She glanced out the window, which was to one side of the kitchen, and caught herself by surprise. The storm hadn't ceased, and might have gotten a little worse, and she watched as the snow was wiped to and fro from the wind. She wondered why the shades in the rest of the house had been drawn, though she assumed it was to keep morality up. She thought she read somewhere that people's emotions would swing lower, with the worsening of weather. Whatever, she supposed that it didn't matter much anyway.

In no time, the kitchen was littered with lots of ingredients, and the sizzle of pancakes hitting the griddle as they were flipped, filled the air. Canada drizzled some syrup into the next bowl of batter, deciding that particular batch was in need of some extra sugar. She asked the Baltics how much vodka to add to Russias batch, and they answered with the very helpful answer of 'a lot.'. She rummaged around in the cupboards, until she found a cabinet stock full of said alcoholic drink, and picked one at random, hoping that Russia would like it, since the Baltics were not too helpful in picking one for her. Nonetheless, soon there were many plates heaped with different assortments and flavors of pancakes, as well as some bacon, eggs, and Canadian bacon on the side.

"Do you mind helping me bring them out, please?" She asked the no longer shaking subordinates of Russia, who nodded enthusiastically. Canada gave them a thankful smile, then proceeded to stack six plates on her arms, one in each of her hands, and the rest carefully balanced on her long arms. She emerged from the kitchen, a smile on her face, and started placing the plates on the dining table she'd noticed on her way to the kitchen. Belarus was the first to appear and, after giving Canada a dangerous look, took a seat next to a stack of blueberry pancakes, and placed one on her plate. Carefully poking it, and deeming it safe to eat, she took a bite but stayed silent. Russia and Ukraine were quick to follow, Russia seemed to find the stack of vodka cakes almost immediately, and replaced his plate for the complete stack of them. Ukraine sat herself down next to Belarus, and picked out a couple different pancakes to try.

Satisfied that everyone was content with their pancakes, Canada sat down next to the stack of steaming, maple syrup flavored flapjacks, and then proceeded to pour more syrup over it. Can't ever have enough maple. She thought to herself. Being as hungry as she was, Canada did not take long to devour the entire stack of about 12 pancakes, not caring that she'd probably regret eating so much later. The silence at the table was a little nerve-racking, and she considered starting a conversation.

"So, any hopes the storm will die down today?" She asked, although seriously doubted a blizzard that was so healthily roaring outside now would be even the slightest bit over in a few hours.

"I think that is probably not going to happen. It is too young to die so soon, da?" Russia asked.

"Oh." Canada replied, the sadness evident in her tone. She couldn't just stay here, and burden these people with her presence. Especially since Belarus was here, and seemed to be suspicious of her actions. Besides, America always talked about how strange things happened to people who dallied at Russia's house. All she needed was a car, or maybe even some snowshoes. Sure trekking across the frozen tundra in snowshoes, with a coat hopefully, didn't sound fun, but at this time it looked like it was a valid option.

"It doesn't matter anyway. You will be leaving after we eat, yes?" Belarus said, giving Canada an icy look.

"I do not think that is a good idea, you will be icicle again in no time. Besides, all the roads will be closed, because they fear the snowstorm." Russia told his sister.

Belarus smiled, happy her brother was paying attention to her, but then turned to Canada again, "Then you can stay in your room. Big brother and I are going to celebrate the Christmas season together, and won't need you getting in the way."

"I...I'm in the way?" Canada asked softly, feeling the threat of tears for some reason. She hated being in the way of people.

"Yes." Belarus told her blatantly.

Canada nodded and stood, "Then I guess I better be going, eh?" She walked through the kitchen and towards a door, nestled between a sink and the refrigerator, which led to the outside winter world.

"Yes, off you go." Belarus told her with a chuckle passing through her thin lips. Her eyes were closed, and her smile was content. Her love Russia stayed silent, staring into his sister's back.

"At least stay until the storm is over. America would probably be angry if he found out I let you go out into that storm." Russia broke into the silence.

Canada gave him a ghost of a smile, but left the room anyway, silent tears rolling down her still blushing cheeks, as she went back to her temporary quarters.