10- Really Don't Care

“You’re completely done?” Marnie wondered.

I nodded, sitting down at the lunch table the next day, which was Monday. “Yep, I’m totally done. Over him, one hundred percent.”

“Because he cancelled your date?”

I didn’t correct her about using the ‘date’ word because it was useless and we both knew it. Nobody would ever not call it a date, although it doesn’t really matter anybore because no matter what it was- it obviously didn’t happen. So it really wasn’t anything. “Because he lied about it.” I defended. “And he had no reason to lie because we were just going to a movie, so it wasn’t a big deal but he lied about it anyway.”

“Well, good.” She grinned. “I mean, not good that you don’t like him anymore, but it’s good that you don’t still like him after he turned out to be a big jerk.”

“I wouldn’t say ‘big jerk’ necessarily. It really isn’t much of a deal at all.” I insisted, wanting to talk about something else. “So, Nikki, how are you and Levi?”

Nikki blushed and dug into her macaroni. I loved the macaroni and cheese here, but I’d declined on it today because I was only having an apple. Just an apple. “We’re good. Levi’s really amazing.”

“Have you done it yet?” Marnie asked invasively.

Nikki shook her head. “No, we haven’t been dating for long at all.”

Marnie shrugged and Karen giggled. “If I was dating Levi, I’d have done him five times by now.” Marnie suggested.

Karen nodded in agreement. “He is very doable.”

“You’re all horrible.” I defended Nikki with a small laugh. I mean, Levi was rather attractive so I could see where they were coming from, but I could tell that Nikki was a bit uncomfortable about them talking about her boyfriend like that. He had shaggy black hair and a really adorable smile with freckles and everything.

“Oh my gosh!” Marnie suddenly whispered, her eyes darting over to something behind my back that just suddenly caught her attention. “He’s coming over here!”

I would have thought that she meant Caleb, but when I turned around, I saw that it was Braeden who was headed for us. He had started sitting at the baseball table after the scrimmage on Wednesday so I guess that he was friends with them now. I wasn’t there, but Owen had told me that Braeden was like, better than almost the whole team. Not better than Owen, of course, because he’d never admit that somebody was better than him at anything. So yeah, he’s on the team now, which is cool.

“You need to calm down, Marnie.” Nikki laughed.

Karen and Alexis both nodded their agreement. “Yeah, you’re making it so obvious.” Alexis mentioned.

“I know, but he’s just so-“ She stopped talking when he got close enough to hear and when he eventually got to our table, he grinned politely and sat down in the only empty chair at the table- the one between me and Karen. “Hey,” He chirped at nobody in particular, sitting a bowl of macaroni and cheese on the table.

“Hi, Braeden.” Marnie squealed, fixing her hair quickly and not very subtly. She wasn’t very discreet at all, at anything, really, but I wasn’t even sure if she was even trying to be discreet.

“Hello,” I chirped politely.

He pushed the macaroni over to me and then said, “Owen told me to give this to you.” Braeden explained.

“That’s so nice of you to do that for-“ Marnie started to gush, but I didn’t continue to listen to her energetic flirting, I just grabbed the bowl of macaroni and got out of my chair, stomping over to the baseball table where Owen and the rest of the guys were laughing at something I didn’t hear.