24- Sad Song

“If you don’t go to school today, I’m taking you to the doctor,” My dad threatens on Tuesday morning.

I groan softly and turn to look at him from under my comforter. “Just one more day,” I pleaded with him.

“Dakota, I’m just worried,” He admitted. “If you’re really this sick then you need to see a doctor.”

“Fine, I’ll go,” I sigh gruffly. He didn’t make me go to school yesterday, on Monday, which was really nice of him, because I couldn’t even get out of bed. Sure, my movie night with Owen helped a little bit, but not a lot, and Owen offered to stay home with me yesterday, but our dad wouldn’t let him because he’d miss baseball and whatnot.

“Good,” He sighed. “Hurry, you’re already running late and Owen is waiting for you.”

I listened to him leave the room before forcing myself out of bed for the first time in a long time. Well, no, that’s not true. I got up a few times yesterday to go to the bathroom but that was really it. This time, I took a shower, which was a first since Saturday, so I guess it hasn’t been that long. I was really not in the mood to get dressed up but I also didn’t want to go to school looking like crap because that’d just give Marnie and Todd the satisfaction of knowing how terribly they hurt me. I mean, I know that Marnie is terribly sorry, based on all of the calls and texts I’ve been ignoring over the past few days and Todd seems concerned because he was texting me for a while but after he realized that it was useless, he started blowing up Owen’s phone for answers that even Owen didn’t have, because I still didn’t tell him anything.

I met in the middle with a pair of dark jeans that looked nice, I guess, and an oversized black hoodie with ‘Paris’ on the front in big white letters and then tall black Uggs. I still looked like crap because I had no makeup on and all I did was work through my ratted hair with a brush lazily, so it looked like crap too.

When I got downstairs, Owen gave me a wide eyed ‘you look awful’ look before actually saying it. “You look awful.”

I grumbled at him before walking out the door to the car. We weren’t going to be late, but we were going to be later than usual.

“Did you and Todd have a fight?” Owen guessed on our way to school. “Because he feels really bad about it if he is demanding answers out of me, you know.”

“He doesn’t even know that I’m mad at him,” I mumbled. My voice was hoarse from crying all of yesterday and all of last night because I was such a cry baby and I couldn’t help but just cry all of the time.

“You should probably mention that,” He chuckled awkwardly. “Come on, what did he even do?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, O.”

And so we didn’t talk about it, we just drove to school in silence and then when we got there, I trudged my way through the hallways alone, hoping with all of my insides that neither Marnie nor Todd would interfere with my morning at all. I mean, it would be ideal if they didn’t interfere with my day at all, but something told me that wouldn’t happen.

Luckily, though, I was able to sneak my way into my first period class without any interruptions. I was actually able to get through my first half of the day without running into anybody save for John who just gave me a sympathetic ‘how are you?’ but he didn’t know what happened either, he just thought I had the flu.

At lunch, I didn’t know what I was going to do and I was actually thinking about just leaving the school, but that was impossible considering Owen had the keys and do you know who sat with Owen at lunch? Because it’s Todd. Well, and Braeden, so that was another reason not to go over there. I obviously couldn’t go sit where I usually sat with Marnie and our other friends so I just didn’t know what to do.