Holly

Her name was Holly.

Tall, beautiful, outgoing, motivating, and my best friend.

We met during middle school, I had piano with her, I remember playing a song off key and she laughed. Holly was my partner in that class and taught me how to play like a pro.

Since then we've been friends and as time went on we became more than that. She became my girlfriend, and I became her first love.

Holly and I did a lot together, in high school we choreographed a danced together for the talent show. It was really fun, although we got 2nd place, but we tried our best. That's what counted.

Everyone knew we were in love, no one ever dared to interfere in our relationship.

She was my other half, as cheesy at that sounds but she was the only person to understand me like no other could.

She never judged me over my poor decisions and the path I was headed to, sure she would tell me to be cautious but I didn't care.

Neither did she, because she would set me straight whenever I was getting ahead of myself.

That's what I loved most about Holly, she kept it real with me.

I sometimes wonder...

What would it be like if she had never passed away?

Would I be in this cell right now or would we be getting married?

The outcomes are always different when I think about it.

It could've gone many ways.

Though it unfortunately went a wrong direction and exploded in my face.

Holly died of an overdose.

We were at this house party and some dumbass decided to start giving out ecstasy.

I took one and then she did because I told her to. I assured her it wasn't going to harm her but of course I was wrong.

As the hour went by we both took more than just one because it felt so good. But that's how it tricks you, it's not good at all, it's fucking life threatening.

My mistake was the cause of her death.

It should've been me. I should've died, not her. She was accepted to five different universities, she was going places meanwhile I was barely getting by.

The night she died, I died too. There was no point in fighting for my innocence because I no longer had it. I killed my only love.

At 18 years old, I was sent to prison for 5 years due to drug possession, being under the influence, and somewhat of being an accomplice.

But more so because they didn't find the actual guy who did it. So I was to blame.

My mother and father knew it wasn't my entire fault, but I felt like it was. Because it was.

She wouldn't have died if I hadn't convinced her to take the damn pill.

If not, she would've been out there making a difference. Unlike me...

I'm such a savage.

I've become one.

Prison changes you, some for the better, other for the worst. As for me? I'd rather die than live another day in this place I call hell.

I can't feel anything anymore.

The torture, the hunger, the sleepless nights. Everything I've experienced in here made me realize that I should've appreciated life more.