Chapter 1

So, I kept looking for a good youtube video for "Little Do You Know" by Alex and Sierra. I could only find an MSP video XD. So enjoy :) P.S This is my first romance book. Comment and vote, please. :)

****

Cassidy's Point of View

    Most of my life was spent with Nate James. At age 5, smashing cakes into each other's faces. Age 9, tripping over a rock and Nate helps me up. Age 11, hunting for shells at the beach. Age 14, roasting marshmallows together at camp. And at age 16, I was hopelessly crushing on my best friend.

   I would spend every waking hour and in my dreams, thinking about him. His green eyes filled with wonder and mischief, his dark curls floating in the breeze. I could draw pictures of him from memory. If only he were to just look at me, look at me like I wasn't just a friend that would be a dream come true. If only he knew how I felt. . .

  But, I would always awake from my reverie to know: that would never happen. Why? Because Nate James would never like a childish, romance fiction fan, video game playing, nerd. The only girls he's ever laid eyes on are rich, pretty girls like Sophie Clark or Ellie Awnings.

  Sure I helped Nate with his crushes, but deep inside I was hurting. Why couldn't he ever like me that way? What was so special about that girl?   But, I had to keep these feelings bottled up inside me for months.

 There were always times when I thought, maybe, just maybe I could tell him. But, that feeling always went away because I kept thinking that our friendship would be ruined. Nate would look at me in a totally different way. Was I really willing to tell him my feelings, risking our relationship that we had managed for 11 years? No.

  It always felt like my heart was having another crack chipped into it whenever I faced something that made me realize that Nate and I were not meant to be. Every time I saw him with another girl, my heart broke. But, it's not like he was going to marry her, right? Right, but my heart ached so much during those times that I would avoid seeing Nate for several days. 

 And each time, he broke up with his new girlfriend, I was there to comfort him. To wipe his tears, and to eat Ben and Jerry's Icecream on the couch. Even though he may have felt sad during those times, I felt my happiest, knowing that I have him to myself for another day or two. 

  Everyone at school knows about my crush for Nate, except Nate himself. People used to tease me about it, but it became old pretty soon. Luckily, even though so many people have hinted at it, Nate hasn't understood.

 Once when he dated Kaitlyn Murry, I couldn't help myself; I tried to persuade him that she was a bad person. He didn't believe me and pushed me aside for a couple of weeks. I cried so hard that first week. Thankfully, Jackie was with me throughout the entire week.

  Jackie Evans, my other best friend,who had honey brown hair and freckles sprinkled across her nose and cheeks, had always been there when Nate wasn't. Her bubbly enthusiasm and support kept me sane. She was always a comfort to see when times were rough. She understood my crush for Nate and helped me try to get over him. 

  But I just can't. Whenever I see him give that cheesy grin to me, I fall for him again. I've tried dating other guys but I just don't feel anything. Nothing like the fluttering in my stomach Nate gives me when he smiles. Nothing like the radiating happiness I feel when he's near me.

***