A Grim Reminder

I woke up to the sound of the TV.
The news reporter at full volume played from the other side of the wall of my hotel room.

It was the nicest hotel room I had ever stayed at. King sized bed, enormous spotless windows and the finest furniture.

I could never in my life afford something that luxurious, and I knew that I never would.
I walked to the living room to where the TV was.

There was a news-reporter-woman, or whatever they're called, on the screen talking about the same news for the fifth time that day.
"The volunteers that had offered to live and populate Mars will soon aboard ships today to continue to live their new lives on the neighbouring planet for many years to come."

It had been worldwide news that had been on repeat for the last month, I couldn't take any of it.

After the discovery that it was possible to live life on Mars with constant supervision and materials, the U.S decided to claim Mars as their own to all of the other countries in the world and had decided to send volunteers to live on Mars.

Of course anyone who decided to volunteer on this lifeless planet far away from humanity would be compensated with 3 million dollars... Not for the volunteer, but for the family.

And so my family, after living their whole lives with financial issues, decided to enlist me.

Of course I am a white female so the U.S would never doubt for a moment to send me.

To sum it all up, I was staying at the fanciest hotel, waiting for my flight... To Mars.

My name is Kiara, Kiara Littlejohn: your average teenage girl with brown hair and brown eyes.

I never was fake, or emo, never went to Starbucks, exercised or went to parties to impress boys LIKE OTHER GIRLS.

Ew, hell no.

I was just your average teenage girl, on a one-way trip to Mars.