Chapter 7

"Kendall and Nick!" Miss Abby announced. Everyone clapped, and I weakly smiled. We walked out of the den while Abby taught Kenz her solo.

"So, Kendall. Duet partners, eh?" Nick winked at me and wrapped his arms around Maddie and threw her around his shoulders. She giggled, and I blushed, and responded quickly.

"Yeah." I struggled to find something interesting to say. Maddie's phone went off. Nick let her down and they both raced to it.

"Oi!" Maddie tried to reach for her phone but Nick blocked her.

"Josh-?" He asked.

"Hyland." Maddie snapped, snatching her phone out of his hands and walking away.

"Someone's touchy." Nick drawled, unconcerned. I didn't respond, just smiled. He pulled me onto his lap. He pulled me even closer and kissed me.

I got off him.

"What's your problem, Kendall?" He asked.

"Nothing. I'm just not into you."

"I'm one of the most popular guys in the 11th grade! You're in the 10th, and most of the girls in your grade would die to hook up with me! Maddie said-"

"Maddie said what, huh? Did she ask you to? We all know you're her little puppy who comes running when she calls. You're only jealous cause she likes Josh Hyland, not you." I crossed my arms.

Nick looked shocked.

"She taught you well, huh?" He chuckled, "I know things about Maddie that would make your hair curl." He walked into studio C.

~

After school the next day, at Maddie's house...

"Toilet break, then we have to go." Paige trotted out of the room.

"Mads, did you ask Nick to hook up with me?" I asked Maddie tentatively, now Paige was gone. She whipped around.

"No duh! You need the popularity boost." She turned around.

"How's the dress?" She twirled in it.

"Perfect. But why?"

"Oh, we all know Nick and half of the school would do anything for me." She tossed her curls she did perfectly, which suited her her lighter ombre hair which she recently got redone.

"Yeah, but-"

"Look, just drop it, kay?" She had that tone that said 'don't push it' without even trying. So I dropped it.

We left Maddie's house once Paige was back, for the 16th planner at 3.30.

"Hey, girlies!" My mom and the rotund, bubbly lady let us in.

"So this is Kendall's sweet 16th, right?"

Eventually we planned a killer 'Roaring Twenties' themed party, and the planner sent out the invites. The three of us are going as flappers. Maddie and Paige promised to make me look like the queen.

"So, now that's all fine and dandy, let's get to dance!" My mom drove the three of us to the ALDC.

~

After Nia, Kenzie, and I had showcased our solos and Maddie had shown off her audition piece to the ALDC, it was Nick and I's turn to show our duet.

It was to the song 'Sweet Nothing' and it was contemporary.

We start the dance side by side, kind of arguing through dance. We slip into sync, then we get closer and use our spectacular lifts and partner work.

We reached the finish; a fish dive, then hold the pose.

"SUPPORT HER!" Abby screamed. At the last moment, he grabbed my leg, before I could fall.

"That... was perfect. If, the faces were covered by paper bags and the fish dive was a fish dive." Abby said scornfully. I shuffled my worn jazz shoes.

"So, on with class." I took my place next to Maddie and Auriel.

"Ah- not you two." She poined to Nick and me.

"You two... are going on a date. Now." She told us the details and texted our parents.

Nick and I exited and grabbed our clothes to get changed.

I went into the Girl's bathroom.

"Kendall?" Maddie's voice clear voice bounced off the tiled room. I came out of the cubicle,

"Yes?" I was worried she was annoyed about the Nick thing.

"You look cute! And don't use Nick too much. I still need him."

"Need him? What about Josh?"

"Josh- needn't know."

"Oh. Okay, I- bye, Mads!" I made to leave.

"Oh, and Kendy? Lay off the cheesecake. I heard it makes you fat." Maddie finished applying her cherry red lipgloss and tied her curled hair back into a high ponytail, straightening her sailor themed california kisses dancewear as she walked out.

I stood, numbed. Maddie really knew how to dig up the past.

FLASHBACK FROM THE SUMMER BEFORE LAST

"Kendall! You forgot your tablets!" My mom yelled. Nobody else noticed; Paige and Chloe continued telling their story to everyone. But not her- she had to notice.

"Tablets? What for?" Maddie asked.

"Nothing." I lied

Later that night, all the girls were asleep, except for me. I had to take my tablets.

I poured myself a glass of water and took two of the tablets out of the container.

"Kendall?" Maddie was standing across the room, next to the kitchen island.

"Maddie?" I spluttered. I breathed, trying to keep my cool.

"What are-" She snatched the tablet container off the counter.

"These?" She held them up. I stayed silent and shrugged.

"P.H.A.T. tablets?"

"They're not-"

"Miss Kendall Vertes. Take two once every night...and what an ironic name..." She read off, shaking them at me questioningly.

"Well? You aren't even fat."

"I need them- I just need them to keep it off. Not for much longer."

"Oh." She said meticulously, rotating them carefully before putting them back down.

"But Maddie..."

"Yeah?"

"Please, don't tell anyone." Her eyes bored into mine for a second, her face poker straight.

Then her face changed, smiling prettily, and friendliness oozing from her pores.

"It's our little secret." She winked.

END OF FLASHBACK

Maddie had lots of secrets. She liked to keep them.

"Kendall? We have to go." Nick said from the hall.

"Uh, sure." I applied pearly pink lipstick and left the bathroom.

Next chapter is the 'date'... and a little something about Paige may or may not be revealed... anyways, I got my inspiration for this storyline from PLL... don't know what that is? Ask me!

Kisses, L