CHAPTER 4

ECHOES

When school finishes i rush through the wide hallways filled with chatter and out of the building, while fast walking down the brick pavement leading to the parking lot, i realize the air i breathed in smelt like smoke, i turn to the side and find Ash perched on the side of a wooden bench painted in green smoking a cigarette. He opens his mouth and a sudden rush of smoke the shape of circles fly around him and then disappear. I've never tried smoking, honestly i think its a waste of time, you are literally slowly committing suicide. Watching him poison his body made me feel crestfallen, he slightly turns his head in my direction and i notice that his eyelids were distend and a shade of a soft pink, at a leisurely pace a tear forms and when it drops more come rushing out of his eyes, as he gains consciousness that he is crying he wipes the tears away and at a hastily speed he grabs his bag and dashes to his car. When he's gone i dart to my bike and start cycling as fast as i can to not miss my shift at Echoes.

The cafe was crowded, the manager: Annabelle, storms out the kitchen shouting, "Lily get your apron on and get to work, I'm tired of you always being late, i don't care about your excuses anymore this is the last time i will tolerate this!"

"Sorry." is all i could say.

I tie the cream colored apron around my waist and start serving meals to the customers. After one hour of traveling back and forth to the kitchen and tables i swap my shift with the cashier and take her place, a tall man in a navy blue suit approaches the counter and in a repugnant voice he says, "I'll take a double expresso on the go with two teaspoons of brown sugar."

His voice sounded familiar, it was kind of irksome, he looked unprepossessing and very egocentric. Oh hell no! He was in Ligonier! What was Derek Slavatore doing here? My face went red and my hands were clenched into fists. I smile and in a colorless voice like his i say, "Shove it up your ass."

"Excuse me?" He says

"You heard me, i want nothing to do with you, so do it yourself."

"Young lady, do you know who you're talking to right now?"

"Yip, the being who ruined my life."

Annabelle comes out of no where and roars, "Lily! What are you doing he's the president of the world, give him what he damn wants!"

"No, i don't care if you fire me but i will not give this monstrous man what he wants!"

I rip my apron off and throw it to the floor. His body guards start heading towards me but Derek puts his hand in front of the two, buff bodies stopping them from getting to me. Without hesitation i run through the cluster of tables filled with people leering at me and leaning against the entrance door is Ash staring at me with his mouth opened in shock. Great.

"That was amazing." He whispers opening the door and letting me walk through first. I don't reply because if i open my mouth i might burst into tears. But its to late I'm already sobbing...

"Oh Lily," he says in a reassuring voice putting his hand on my shoulder,"If i knew how sad that monster made you i would have gone and punched him, I'm so sorry."

I still don't reply, instead i hide my face and start walking towards my bike hoping he would just leave. He doesn't, he just continues talking.

"What you did was unbelievable, I've never seen anyone stand up to that jerk, i think he was even scared, you shouldn't cry, instead you should be smiling, be happy."

"Stop!" I finally say,"Im not crying because i faced him for the first time."

"Then what for?"

Coud he be any more annoying!

"I have to go, i have lots of homework." I say while getting onto my bike just wanting to go home and sleep.

He doesn't say anything, he just stares at the ground and probably knows that I'm lying. I cycle off and let the tears pour down my face.