Words of a Dead Man

The grand ball was about to begin. All the Guests were decorated in fancy fabrics with intricate designs. But where was the host of this party? Who gathered them all here?

The waiters and waitresses wore masks of every shape and size. Some grotesque and worn while others were beautiful and pristine. Everyone that received an invitation had specific instructions to follow. No one questioned these instructions, yet in the back of their minds there was an uneasiness.

Why did we have to come here wearing such fancy clothes? What is the purpose o the staffs' masks? And the most vivid question... Where is the one who sent the invitations?

As the ball continued on through the evening, light slowly fading into night the social portion of the ball was coming to a close. The waiters carrying their varying platters of appetizers and small glasses of champagne and waitresses with their menus and began to disappear one by one. Replaced by an emptiness that altered the atmosphere of the room.

Among the guests small murmurs of curiosity rolled through the air.

A large curtain was slowly drawn it's wheels giving a light "skhhh" as it revealed its hidden surprise. A stage with a bronze gong that was coated in a thick layer of dust lay silent behind the curtain. All at once the gong bellowed as someone struck its side.

"Boom"

"Boom"

"Boom"

The crowd of guests fell silent after the second strike. All looked in amazement at the lone figure standing among the disturbed dust motes. Waiting for the figure to speak the silence was deafening and some dared not to even breathe for fear of this strange entrance.

With a slight bow and a quick flash of white the chains that held the heavy gong in place were severed. The resulting noise was something similar to that of a freight train rolling down steel tracks. Although this wouldn't be the only noise to come.

Screams of terror quickly ensued, first the women who watched in horror as the gong came away from the stage. Then screams of agony from those unable to get out of it's path.

After this gruesome display the figure leaped off the stage to stand upon the gong that now lay on it's side slightly propped up by those that lie beneath.

"I hope this doesn't ruin the festivities."

His sharp tongue spat the words into the air leaving it's listener's in silent horror. Another curtain was drawn revealing a long rectangular table set with the makings of a buffet and other small tables with the implication of seating for this vast crowd.

"Be seated everyone! The main course is about to be served!" He spoke with arms outstretched and a smile upon his face. He himself began to make his way to the larger table, his footsteps marked perfectly in a crimson path. As the guests uncomfortably took place at the tables maids and men with masks just as before quickly emerged from the shadows and behind curtains to dispose of the bodies left behind. A total of four burly masked men were needed to lift the gong off the now no longer writhing remains.

A familiarly haunting sound filled the air once more as the large dividing curtain closed off the view of the previous room.

What awaited the guests was the new question fresh in their minds.