Chapter 13 Ride

The forest doesn't look the same as before. It's blurred. The trees are green blobs surrounding me. The stream we are by, doesn't have the right shape either. I wouldn't even known it was the stream if I didn't know the area so well. Everything makes me feel like I'm hallucinating. But I remember I go hunting here. I can tell by the smell, and by the sound. It's far away from the humans. And it's quite. With lots of animals. And the occasional mountain lion. Mine and my dad's favorite. Their blood just tastes sweeter than all the others. If I had to compare it to something it would be to hot chocolate. The blood warm, going down my throat. One of my favorite things in the world. Of course there is more to blood. Well for me at least. Since I'm half vampire half human, I don't crave it as much. Don't get me wrong, there is still that part of me that can't resist, but it's just easier too. That's why being around people for me is easy. I don't crave it as much as my family. Or the Volturri. God no. I like human food. It's not that fun to eat though. Hunting, you have to crouch down and let your senses take over. The first time I tried it, I couldn't remember anything except standing in front of a dead deer, bloody shirt and all. If Jake ever saw me hunt. I shake my head. I don't feel like a monster, but during times like that I do. When I'm at school I think of myself like everyone else. Just a normal teen. But when I'm thirsty or when I'm craving someone's blood (it happens) i feel like i got sent from hell or something. Like I'm possessed. Like I'm literally someone's worst nightmare. I guess we can't chose our fate. I mean Jake didn't get to choose his.
I get back to reality. Jake is still running. I'm so lost on where we are going. I decide to have some fun with it though.

"Jake, can you stop please?" He stops.

"Don't turn phase out. I just wanted to ask if I could race you. See who really is faster."He smiles, or at least it looks like it.

"To the opening up there." I point about a kilometer away. He nods.

"Ready? Set. Go"