Chapter 4

Six years.

It's been six years since Frey bursted to Calli's house due to her worry, just to found Calli's parents gory death, and found out Calli's body was burned so the authorities can't even identify it, the DNA test didn't even work, because every single inch of her was burned.

They cremated a body that cannot be Calli's, it felt like an unfamiliar body. Since Calli's family is quite rich, it was a memorable funeral. Every member from the Darcey family, the whole school, colleagues, everyone attended their funeral. How ironic, the only moment when everyone is truly there, it was the funeral.

The person who cried the most was definitely Frey. She cried and cried and cried to think her very best friend for nine years just died in the most ordinary day, and nobody see that coming.

For the first six weeks since Calli's death, Frey was a mess. To narrow it down, Frey identified herself as "gray".

To Frey, "gray" was the most unpleasant feeling, more that anger and sadness. Because, you are neither. Because, in Frey's point of view, when the world around her bursts with color, shape, tastes- she was just.. Gray. Plain old gray. The reason Frey was so sad, because she loves it.

She love the way the world around her is so colorful, she love it when she heard a laughter, because it was the most beautiful color a human can produce. She love it when she listens to music, for her, it feels like she's in a grand art museum. She fell in love with the world she's living in, not like the most people sees it as an abomination.

And that time, it was taken away. Everything but Frey was colorless. She still could taste and see all the things at the time, but not from herself. She didn't feel like making any effort to the world, the eyes that usually shining were dimmed, she couldn't even smile when she saw something that usually pleases her greatly, while her daily role is to make sure everyone hear her booming laughter. The happy song didn't seem to do their job to Frey and she was terrified to listen to the blues, because she was scared it would get worse.

She realized the reason she was gray because of her denial. She was a stubborn girl you see, kept visiting Calli's house on those six weeks just to found the house is empty. Even the furnitures are gone to their relative's houses. That time, she believed that Calli was still alive, she was just missing and the police just too lazy to do their job, that they buried a stranger's dead body, not Calli's.

What a stupid girl.

She realized that she was indeed, a stupid teen in the denial stage, and so, it came to acceptance. She accepts that her best friend for nine years is gone for good, she accepts that yes, she did lost someone but death definitely not an excuse for her to lose her spirit, Calli don't want that too, right?

She made peace with the reality that once taunts her.

Now, Frey is an eighteen year old girl that will turn nineteen by next Thursday, but she forgot about it. After Calli's death, Frey made some good friends with unique people. She met a black girl at her school when they were paired up for a project. Her name is Lea, she was cold to Frey at first, but due to Frey's friendly and stubborn nature, Lea finally warmed up to her. And then, Frey made friend with this shy guy that always keep to himself, his name is Adam. Frey never really knew why he is so isolated, later then, she saw Adam glancing and blushing around her other friend, Jim, a guy that really likes plants and exceed at biology. Frey found it odd at first, but accepts it. She met with much more fascinating people too, but she wouldn't list all of them here, wouldn't she?