To Say Goodbye

It was several days before Wil was able to make the journey down to the Gardens of Life. The thought of seeing her only shattered his already fractured heart. And again he was consumed with anger for the Druid had known from the very beginning, had brought them together for this sole purpose, only to have her taken away. Obviously it had not been in Allanon's plans for them to fall in love. But that's what had happened.

Amberle ... He could still see her face so clearly, still hear her voice. He could still recall that horrible sense of dread that overtook him as she looked at him for the last time, eyes burning blood-red. It was almost as if he knew what would happen.

He had reached the entrance to the Gardens now and again Wil paused as an indefinable feeling began to blossom in the pit of his stomach. Was it fear? Trepidation? Or was he simply not ready to face her?

The Elven people passed by him on all sides in threes and fours, filing through the gates while the Black Watch stood silent and motionless, regarding the Valeman with expressionless eyes. They almost seemed to question silently, "What will it be?"

Wil took a deep, shuddering breath, steeling his nerves, and walked slowly beneath the silver arch, following the neatly-trimmed hedgerows on either side of the path. Each step meant the end was near, that his quest to save the Ellcrys was coming to a close. He was getting closer now, and he could glimpse the silver-white roots of the magnificent tree up ahead.

Then at last she came into view, the Elven embodiment of all that was pure. The saviour and protector of the Westland. His Amberle. Soft beams of sunlight flashed off of the Ellcrys' crimson leaves and the moss covering the roots was deep green and fresh. No more did the sickness threaten the tree's life. No longer did the Demons crouch at the doorstep of Arborlon. Not while she was there.

A young woman and her daughter stood by the base of the tree, admiring it wonderingly. The small girl ran her hand gently down the side of the trunk and Wil's heart swelled.

He could feel the tears forming in his eyes and hastily brushed them away as the girl and her mother took their leave. He was alone now, not ten feet away from the legendary tree.

"Amberle," he whispered. There were so many things he wanted to say, so many feelings that swirled within him. Could she hear him? Did she know that he was there?

Wil's fingers drifted to the pouch containing the Elfstones, the burden of magic he had carried on his journey from Storlock to Arborlon and into the heart of the Westland with the Reaper on their tail, all for the sole purpose of keeping her safe. It was finished and he needed them no more, but still he held onto them. The power was his to give away, but no one else would carry his burden. No one else would have to worry about Demons for a long time.

Slowly, Wil moved closer until he stood beneath the shadow of the Ellcrys. A gentle breeze made the leaves flutter and rustle. For a moment he stood there with bated breath until he raised a hand and pressed it against the trunk of the tree.

Seconds passed and he closed his eyes, waiting ... waiting ...

But there was nothing.

Wil swallowed hard, head bowed. She was gone.

Just as he was about to move away, there came a rustle and Wil froze. Something was moving behind him. Ever so carefully, he turned his head to see one of the silvery branches snaking delicately around his shoulders, its leaves brushing the back of his neck.

And he gasped as he saw Amberle's face in his mind, her emerald green eyes bright with joy.

Wil.