9

I awoke to the a piercingly bright light peaking through my bedroom window. I lifted my head to see Sam lying on me. Her fingers were interlocked with mine and her face rested on my chest. Cute. I didn't want to let go of her but I also really wanted to sleep some more. I arose and softly out her head on the pillow and let go of her soft hand. I closed my blinds and turned around. Sam is so innocent looking when she sle-. A large purple bruise loomed under her eye, the edges slightly green with another more purple bruise on her cheek. A sinking feeling grew in my chest. No maybe she ran into something. Who would ever hurt someone like sam? As I got deep into thought I didn't notice she had woken up. "Lis what're you even staring at?" I stood there silent for a moment, a thousand questions ran through my mind. "What's on your face?" I asked sternly. "What? What's on my face?" She was lying to me. "Your face is bruised up, that wasn't there last night." She stood up quickly and speed walked to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. I followed behind her. "Sam, you can tell me anything I'll always listen no matter I promise" I spoke into the door.
There was a few minutes of silence before the door unlocked and I was faced with a makeup stained and bruise faced Sam. "My mom and her boyfriend hurt me." My heart started pounding. "They throw things at me, they hit me, and they threaten me." I flinched as painful memories flooded my mind. "Sam, why haven't you told anyone?" She gave a small sad chuckle. "Don't you think this is kind of embarrassing for me? Plus she's my mom, or was,  believe it or not." I pondered for a moment, she sounded so calm. "Maybe I should tell some-" "nonono please don't tell anyone please" she begged.
Decisions.

Be back by 9, got it
His words echoed through my ears. It was ready 9:15 and even though my friend was speeding I'd never get past it. "Listen, Mary, stay in the car okay I'll be right out" I slid up the stares and unlocked the door. It seemed like 100 years from the car to the door. It was all so quick. Him grabbing my neck and pushing out the last bits of air I had left, my friend coming in, and him hitting me one last time.
"Listen I know what you saw seems..." "Insane?" "Well.. Yes but i swear he loves me and I love him so it shouldn't matter. Plus I said I'd be home by 9 so I guess I deserved it." Her jaw literally dropped. "Fine, Elisabeth, I'm tired of your excuses, find a new friend. I pray someone talks some sense into you." Her words stung.