Tʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ • Sʜᴀᴛᴛᴇʀᴇᴅ Wɪɴɢs

Chapter Thirteen: Shattered Wings

To say that chaos ensued in the following seconds wasn't enough to describe the situation at hand.

The Groudon—or Primal Groudon, as Ryou had labelled it—swung its huge tail in a wide arc, the heavy appendage dragging on the ground and uprooting a spray of jagged rocks in its wake.

They weren't just regular old stones, however—if they were, the feat could be brushed off as nothing fancy, just an ordinary Pokemon showing off.

Yet, the loose pieces of serrated earth steamed at the edges, and burning trails of magma seemed to follow the fragmented pieces wherever they flew. Being caught in the middle of the trio, she was thankfully protected from the worst of the attack, but Ryou hadn't been as lucky.

One of the shards had snared the young boy's jacket, and the trainer buckled from the impact. The flames seemed to die as it came into contact with the black fabric of the teen's baggy hoodie, but the burning effect had still lasted.

Celeana's eyes widened in shock as she saw her friend double over, the rough edges of the stone having pierced through his skin.

The coordinator's face blanched as she saw the crimson liquid that stained the younger boy's jacket, her arms reaching out at once to catch the stumbling teen.

"You're injured," she noted with worry.

"Oh," he muttered in a daze. "I am."

His sarcastic tone was absent, and the hesitance in it was awful to hear—as if he'd just realised that he'd gotten hurt. He glanced up, violet eyes empty—and he looked so nonchalant and indifferent, his face in a state of eerie calm—it was clear that he was still in a state of shock.

The Celebi in the girl's arms flew up, clear wings buzzing at a rapid pace as she spoke. "I may not know how to heal, exactly..." The Legendary frowned apologetically. "I could try, but there's not much I could do."

Ryou stared at the creature. "Why's there a need to do that?" he asked, his voice sharp. "I'll be fine—it's not like it's a deep wound."

"Are you sure...?" Celeana glanced at him—he was bleeding, after all—but was met with a reassuring nod of confirmation.

"We have to get away from it," the silver-haired teenager stated, straightening up as if the previous incident had never happened. "I'm pretty sure you have some type of combination that can catch its eye."

"I could try...?" The girl was less than enthusiastic, but she was grateful that what Ryou had in mind didn't contain any form of battling—at least, not for her.

He clicked two of his Pokeballs open, revealing his Vibrava and Swellow in simultaneous bursts of white light. The creatures looked drowsy—it was more than understandable—but after a few moments of inspecting the situation, they stood at attention, waiting for their trainer's command.

"Ready when you are," he called. "You'd better start soon."

Nodding, the coordinator took a step back, hoping to get away from the heat—not that it made much difference anyway. Her fingers ran over the metallic buttons of the two spheres in her hands, causing Froakie and Kirlia to materialise in front of her.

"Froakie, do that Bubble c—combination," she started, trying to mask the nervousness in her voice with loudness. "Kirlia, use Confusion...and I think you learnt Magical Leaf, right?"

The humanoid creature scoffed. "Are you belittling me?" she asked. "Yes, I did learn that move, and I would be more than able to perform it."