01 • Books or Friends •

** Three Years Later**

"Yo Raymond!" came a voice, which I instantly recognized as Stella's.

I looked up from the book I was reading and gave her a warm smile. She strode up to me and plopped herself in the seat in front of me.

"What are you reading?" she asked, picking up a fry from my tray and plopping it into her mouth.

"Shut up." I said as I re-read the line I just read. "No way!"

"Max you complete moron! You can't do that!" I growled. Suddenly my hands were evicted from my beautiful solace.

"Hey! That's mine!"

"The One. Kiera Cass. Hmm. Haven't read that one yet." said Stella skimming through the back of my precious novel.

The Selection series was my second favourite set of books. No one would rob first place. The Hunger Games series have captured my heart and aren't planning on giving it back. Not that I minded. Other than for pumping blood throughout my body, I didn't really have many uses for my heart.

It belonged to my story books, completely.

"Please! Give it back! Max just-" I started but her hand clamped over my mouth.

"You're not telling me what happens. I will read the two novels before this and I will read this."

I slumped my shoulders. "Alright."

"And just to punish you, I'm not going to give you this book until tomorrow" she snickered.

I knew she would get her revenge on me somehow.

I had borrowed (stolen) her copy of 'Divergent' for the weekend without telling her. She had searched for it all weekend and almost reported a theft to the police. But knowing my sneaky character, she decided to wait until Monday to see if I had it.

I was caught red handed, reading it during free period.

"Are you serious?!" I stuttered.

"Deadly."

"You-you!!" I floundered. Then I sighed, giving up.

I knew it was all for fun,  but I was at the best part!

"So. How's life?" she asked, tucking the book into her backpack.

"Be careful!" I warned. But all I got in return was a irritated roll of her baby blue eyes.

"Usual, I see." she replied, nodding at my silence in not replying to her question.

"How are the careers?"  I deadpanned.

Ever since day one, we started calling Britney and her group of cronies, the 'careers' since they were equally vicious and terrifying as the real deal.

"Gawking at my brothers new tattoo. On his, wait. . . third? No, fourth ab." she laughed.

"Ew. TMI, you idiot." I retorted. "I didn't want to know that."

"Man, you're the only girl that can actually put him in his place. Only problem is, you never really try."

"Because I can't wait to get out of this hell hole. And to do that successfully, I need to keep my head down. Lay low, you know.." I rhymed.

"You got it all mapped out haven't you?" she said, cryptically.

I looked at her curiously but a monstrous sound erupted, cutting off my train of thought. This sound was also known as the bell.

"Ciao babes!" she called, getting up from her seat and heading for the door.

I waited a few minutes then got up and exited my secret hiding place in the library. I quickly steeled myself, slipped on a mask and walked to the hell that awaited me.

*

I tossed and turned. Then I turned and tossed.

What happens? What does America do? Does she apologize profusely? Does he--?

I got up once again. I grumbled incoherent words under my breath.

I pulled the blanket over my head. Too hot and too suffocating.

I threw it off. Too cold.

I covered half of my body. I felt much more comfortable. 

Suddenly a creepy feeling entered my system. What if this whole bedroom was a set up, like the maze? What if someone was watching me, like WCKD? Or even worse, the ghost of President Snow? What if he was planning to send one of his crazy mutts after me? To bite the part of my leg that was out of my blanket.

 I quickly covered my leg. I growled in frustration. Stella and my wreck less imagination was going to be the death of me.

I couldn't wait till I saw her at school tomorrow. She was going down.

***

Hey! Enjoy! How do you think she'll strangle Stella? Man, once my friends did this to me! I was so mad! I had to chase them around the class as they hid my book behind them and passed it on!

LoVe,

HR