09 • Hot Messes •

Honk! Honk!

The sound of the car horn shattered my poor eardrums, causing me to walk out the front door to see who was being run over.

When I saw that no one was hurt and it was just a brown haired idiot frowning in his beautiful car, I raised my eyebrows.

"You could have just given me a call you know. You didn't have have to make the whole town go deaf." I said, hoping against hopes I hadn't gone deaf.

He smirked as he revved up the car, making me cover my ears in a pain. At that moment I hated him with such a passion that could have caused me to put him in the games. But later I realized, that I wouldn't want that on even my worst enemies.

And he wasn't even my worst enemy.

Elisa came to the door too. She flashed a bright smile at him.

"Ryan, honey! Hey!" She waved. I cringed. Here we go.

Ryan got of the car and walked over to us. "Hey Mrs Raymonds."

A faint longing smile graced Elisa's lips. But it quickly disappeared and was replaced with a frown. "You can just call me Elisa." She replied, giving him a complacent smile.

"Now come on in for some breakfast." She stated.

"Uh-Maybe not-" he started, but she had already disappeared into the house.

"Best if you come inside," I sighed. "She won't take no for an answer."

I turn around and walk back into the house sighing again.

How annoying. Now Elisa could interrogate Ryan to he her heart's content.

We seated ourselves at the table in the kitchen. Our kitchen was pretty spacious so we could fit in a table in it. It was pretty convenient since me and Elisa were the only ones who dined here anyway. The table out in the dinning room was fit for eight people and it was lonely when me and Elisa sat there alone. So we opted to buy a small table for the kitchen and dragged some chairs for it from the dinning room.

My dad practically lived in his office, which of course was in DC. And when he wasn't in his office he always stayed at a hotel, even during the holidays. In the past nine years I could count on my fingers the number of times I'd seen him. Not that I cared of course, but still.

There was only one strange thing about his behavior. He stopped sending us money. He used to; when he first left us to go to DC, which was five days after his marriage to Elisa. For almost two years, he sent money to a bank account that we could withdraw from. But suddenly it stopped. It was almost as if he had completely forgotten we existed. Elisa was too proud to ask him about it. She told me we could make it on our own. She worked as a English professor in a nearby college, which gave us a steady income to lean on.

A plate of steaming pancakes was placed in front of me, cutting off any thoughts flowing to my brain. I almost moaned in delight. Elisa's pancakes were the most tastiest things that had graced this Earth and she rarely made them.

I quickly served myself some and took the bowl of maple syrup and poured it all over my pancakes. I took my fork and knife and cut up a slice, putting it into my mouth. Closing my eyes, I sighed in utter bliss.

"These are amazing, Mrs Raymond!" I hear Ryan say as I open my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you. Who were you talking to?" Elisa scoffed, making me bite the inside of my cheek so I wouldn't laugh.

"Uh-Elisa. These are amazing Elisa." he corrected.

Elisa beamed. "Thank you. It's a family recipe."