Chapter Four - Dr. Grimhilde

Four brittle fingers drum restlessly on a windowsill. A thumb lies next to them, twitching every once in a while.

I lift my hands and study them. Pale and smooth from staying indoors, but still worn from writing. They're starting to age.

All hands will wrinkle with time. All except one:

Snow White's.

The cleverly built anthroid was everything I wanted to be. She—no, it—had everlasting youth, was a genius, and stole Leo's heart. How could a piece of metal be so perfect? It was unnatural.

I can't deny my jealousy. I am certain envy has taken hold of me, blinding my ability to make right decisions. However, I have the right to hate it.

Why do I have to be a genius? If I were normal, I wouldn't have a mind to be proud of. Snow wouldn't bother me at all. My knowledgeable mind was far too fast-paced, and I was content with it. None had ever been able to overcome me with intelligence. All except Snow.

That's why I sent Randy to shut her down.

I have no doubt he could do it. His skills as a programmer were notable. He would be sufficient enough to keep Snow out of my way.

Ah, here comes Randy. His light brown hair is ruffling slightly in the breeze as he suspiciously enters the mansion. His hands are full of something. A smile grows on my face.

I wait with increasing impatience. Finally, Randy knocks on my door and lets himself in.

"I did it, Mom," he says, presenting me a package. "Here."

I rip off the paper wrappings and take out its content. A small, compact chip, engraved with the words, Anthroid A-3, 3XT56. It's Snow's.

"You may go now," I breathe out, rubbing its smooth surface with my thumb. "You've done a good job."

Randy hesitantly walks out the room. Fierce pleasure runs through me. With a single crushing blow, I could forever wipe Snow out of my life. She could never stand against me anymore. Leo would be mine.

A minuscule hairline crack appears on the chip as I squeeze it between two fingers. An oddly satisfying cracking sound rings through the air. The chip, after immense pressure, gives in to my fingers and falls apart.

I dump the remains of Snow in the trashcan and dust my hands off. The foolish anthroid should've seen it coming. Ah, well, machines can't process human emotions, so she couldn't have known my hatred for her.

The great Snow White is gone.

I whip out my phone and activate Siri.

"Siri Siri, on my phone, who's the smartest of us all?" I ask, sighing with pleasure.

"Checking, OK, this is what I got for, 'Siri Siri, on my phone, who's the smartest of us all?'" she replies. Several articles about the hated anthroid pops up. "Snow White, the first anthroid created by Dr. Leo P. White—"

I drop my phone again. Siri's voice is cut off as my thoughts whirl in my head. Technology is very fast and reliable, but shouldn't the lifeless shell of Snow already be discovered by now? Siri should've been updated.

Unless, unless . . .

No. Not possible.

Wait, yes, it can happen.

I've underestimated the power of love.

Of course. Randy grew up with Snow. He's attached to her like a fly is to trash. A lifetime's worth of friendship can't be broken simply by a mother's commands. I had trusted Randy with a mother's love, but my affection wasn't as deep as his devotion to Snow.

Don't panic, I tell myself, taking sharp breaths. Think methodically. First, make sure that Snow's still up and running. How? Security cameras? Yes. Check the time and location with Randy's phone calls.

"Randy!" I sweetly call out. He's at my room in an instant, biting his lips nervously. "Do me a favor and bring me the Records and History of Law and Order: Volume Three, please."

"Where is it?" he queries. Relief shines on his face. Relief that I didn't find out about Snow being alive?

"I'm sure it's in the attic," I say. He nods and disappears.

I get up, swiftly making my way to Randy's room, where he always keeps his phone. His room is very neat, which makes it so much easier to spot his phone on his desk. I pocket his phone and enter my room again unnoticed.

I plug his phone into my laptop. I could always hack it without physically obtaining his phone, but this way is faster. It takes about three minutes to completely overtake his system. I'm on edge that Randy will come in and see me doing this.

I type in a few commands. His call log appears on my screen. I breath out slowly, clicking his most recent call with Snow.

"Yeah?" Snow's voice says.

"Oh, um, uh, Snow," Randy babbles, "hi. I didn't expect you to answer my call. Um, so, how's it going?"

"Fine?"

A nervous laugh sounds, ending with a cough. "So, where are you? I need to talk to you."

"Dwarf City, near the entrance," Snow says. Bingo. Dwarf City. I lean closer.

"Okay, alright, w-well then, I'll see you there in a few minutes." The call ends here.

I check the time the call was made. Two fourty-five P.M. It would take less than five minutes to get to Dwarf City if Randy took a taxi, which he most likely did. Dwarf City security cameras, from 2:45 to 3:00 P.M.

After gaining access to Dwarf City's security cameras, I choose the time range from 2:30 to 3:00. I pick out Snow at once, her black hair standing out in the colorful background. She's sitting on a bench.

In a few minutes, Randy comes in the view. They exchange a few words and head somewhere. I have to change security cameras to track them to the library.

In the library, they're still talking. I hold my breath as they embrace. I want to leap in there and rip them apart. How dare you touch my son? My lips curl up.

I'm so filled with disgust that I forget what I'm looking for. I'm reminded that I'm checking for Snow's escape as they pull apart.

Snow darts out of the scene, and Randy . . . Randy. He's doing nothing. He just stands there with this wounded expression on his face.

I'm shaking. Trembling with fury from Randy's betrayal.

Something takes over me and causes me to throw my laptop at my wall. I'm screaming with rage, bashing anything within my reach against the wall. Randy appears in my doorway, alarmed by my tantrum.

"You!" I shriek, pointing a finger at Randy. "You! You let Snow go!"

Randy, with a stricken look on his face, falls to his knees and holds his hands in a praying gesture. "I can explain," he pleads.

"No. Go to your room, and we'll talk after I take care of her myself," I command, pushing past him to the hallway. "You may not eat or come out until Snow is gone. Forget school and stay in there. If you want to get out fast, reveal where Snow is and help me shut her down."

I storm to my work room, shoving the guard out of the way. I slam the door closed and let out a low groan, holding my head in my hands.

My head suddenly clears, and I draw myself into a composed manner. To defeat Snow in this game, I must be at my best, and shouting won't help.

Let the hunt begin.