Chapter Six - Snow

I munch on the sandwiches the seven men left me, waiting for them to return. For amusement, I had surfed the internet, searching up random things like puppies. I didn't know baking shows were so entertaining.

As I wipe the last crumbs of the tuna sandwich off my lips, somebody knocks on the door. I sigh and trudge to the door, saying, "Who is it?" I open the door.

A small girl wearing a dark hoodie is standing on the welcome mat, staring up at me. She breaks out in a cute little smile when she sees me.

"Hi! I'm Melody!" she chirps. "I know who you are. You're Snow!"

I blink, staring at her energetic attitude. "Who are you?"

Melody giggles and barges into the workshop. "I'm Luke's sister!"

I close the door and follow Melody, afraid that she might knock something down.

"I'm a huge fan of you, Snow!" she yells, hugging me around my midriff. "I can't believe a robot can be so real. I wanted to do something like Dr. White, so I created an universal battery packet. With Lukie's help, of course."

She grabs my hand and forces a heavy hunk of cool metal onto it. "Please try it! Oh, please, please please please please! I could tell my friends that the famous Snow tried my invention!" Her lips are a blur as she bounces up and down.

"Well, if Lucas helped you make it, and if you're sure it works . . . " I couldn't bring myself to say no to the adorable girl. Besides, I needed a little more power to be fully charged, and I could start a person's dream become true. I mean, not harm will happen, right? "Sure," I agree, grinning at her.

I open the panel on my forearm and plug the charger in. It feels a bit foreign, and the plug could be smoother. A tiny blinking light signals that I am being charged.

"Hey! It works!" I say.

"Of course," Melody responds, grinning. The smile is very unsettling.

Something clicks in my mind. What Melody said and Lucas said don't match. Lucas had said that none of the workshop members had siblings. Melody claimed she was Lucas' sister.

I rip the charger out of my panel, panicking. Melody's lip wobbles at my furious glare. "Who are you really?" I demand. "Tell me!" She starts bawling, snot coming out of her nose.

"Oh, dear Snow White," a chilling voice says. "She's just an innocent little child."

A figure appears out of the shadows. A shudder runs through me as Dr. Grimhilde pats Melody on the head. "Dear, you may go now. Remember, don't tell anybody about this," she says kindly, handing Melody a candy apple. Melody shoots a tearful look at me and runs out of the shop.

"You couldn't run away forever," Dr. Grimhilde says once the door shuts. Her eyes bore into mine.

"Why are you doing this to me—" I break off with a gasp.

Command to shut down received, my mind says. Shutting down in a minute. Please prepare.

"Yes, the battery was programmed by me," Dr. Grimhilde states, voice oozing with satisfaction. "Normally, if you shut down, you'd be able to turn on by yourself, but with this tricky bit of code, only the person who created the code can undo it."

I collapse on the ground, limbs out of control. They arrange themselves neatly next to my body. I beg Dr. Grimhilde with my eyes, my mouth already frozen. Please. I'll do anything. Just don't hurt Leo.

My eyes flutter shut.

"The hunt was easier than I thought," Dr. Grimhilde whispers in my ear. "Have a good sleep, for, oh, let's say, a decade or so?"