Part 16

Mystery Girl

Girl of Wonder

Appeared like magic

Shining a new light on my life

Where did you come from?

Are you here to stay?

Is this a new beginning?

A new chance to claim someone as mine?

I closed my poetry book and leaned back in my chair. I placed my hands on my head. Jez. That's all that's been on my mind all day. Why? Who exactly is Jezebel? Who is she to come and touch my heart in a way that it hasn't been touched since... Is she the one? Am I supposed to give myself to her? I sighed as I continued to think about her. There was a light tap on my door.

"Honey, dinner is ready."

"Ok, mom."

We sat at dinner in a comfortable silence. All that could be heard was the sound of forks against plates. I sat my fork down and cleared my throat.

"Mom, I've been thinking..."

"About what, sweetheart?" I sat silent for a minute

"About getting my own place." She stopped eating

"What?"

"I mean...all my friends are away at college. I should be too, but I'm not. I will be next fall, so I was thinking why not get my own place? You know, get used to not living at home."

"But...you didn't live at home for a whole year..." I sighed

"I know mom, but that was different. This is my choice and...I can come visit whenever I want. Not when the doctor says it's ok." She sighed

"...Ok. If it makes you happy then I guess...tomorrow I'll help you look." I smiled big

"Really? Thanks mom!" I said

"You're welcome, mi niño. Now finish up your dinner."

The next morning we woke up at 8 to go apartment hunting. It was about noon when we walked into what mom described as "the perfect place". 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, nice sized living room, and a kitchen/dining area.

"So, do you like it honey?" I nodded. I could work with it. A few peace signs and a splash of green should make this place feel just like home.

"We'll take it." My mom said to the Realtor.

Before I went to sleep I made sure I called all of the boys to tell them about my place. They promised they'd come home as soon as they could to see it. Mom said she'd help me pack tomorrow. I should be in my place within the next few days. Man, who would've thought that I'd have my own place at 19?