Chapter 4.

I walked into the school compound feeling my usual dread shooting through me once again. The feeling is just too familiar. I had to literally drag myself to the locker hallway and get my books for History. The only thing perhaps I was looking forward to today was gym. We were going to play floorball which I thought was very similar to hockey somehow. But gym was the last lesson of the day which meant I had to wait for hours. Just as I was about to shut my locker, I saw Hudson strolling towards me. Was it just me or was there really a tint of pink in his cheeks? I was guessing something happened between him and Lola. 

"Zingz! Can I talk to you for a minute like... now?"

"Dude, the bell is go--" I got cut off as he literally dragged me by the arm to a secluded corner of the locker hallway. 

"Ok what the hell Hudson?! Why are you blushing like you just got asked out for the first time in your life?"

Hudson stared blankly at me for a moment before he said, "How did you know? Is she excited about it? Oh-Em-Gee! This is so cool! The moment is here finally!"

"Ok, bro. Pause there for a moment because I have no idea what you are talking about?"

"I got myself a date. Guess who?"

"That's a darn stupid question, you know that? Who else but the highly-regarded princess Lola!"

"Wow Zingz, you are like really smart."

"See I am not so smart, you are just extremely dumb."

"I don't really care that you are insulting me right now because I am the happiest guy ever!"

"So when is it?"

"Today? Actually I omitted a word. The word being study. It is actually a study date. Since we all have a few tests coming up, me and Lola thought we could share some information and all that."

"I am hurt  my friend. I have always asked you to study with me but all you did was turn me down and say you will be distracted. I even promised I wouldn't open my mouth unless I want to ask a question."

My face fell at my own words. I really did mean what I said. I has asked him numerous times and he would simply shun me away. I understand that Lola was a girl he really, really liked but how is it that he only wants my help to get together with a girl and nothing else, not even studies. How was I supposed to feel as a friend? How will I know that our friendship would even last if all he wants from me is to set him up. Once he does have Lola by his side, will he be by my side? So many questions started churning up in my head. I hated to overthink but it was a terrible habit of mine. 

"Oh. Wait. That was different. Oh come on! You know how much I like Lola. You know I would do anything to spend even five minutes with her." 

"You know what Hudson. Forget it. As much as I want to be happy for you in this situation, I kind of got ticked off instead. Pretend we never had this conversation ok? I am just being a petty girl perhaps, so go ahead and ignore me." 

I walked off with that leaving Hudson wide-eyed by wha I said. I hope I made him guilty though. 

School hours went by in a breeze and I was finally standing in the school field with my gym attire and track shoes on. My teacher Miss Monire called us girls to assemble. She had already picked our teams. I was hoping my gym class buddy Alice Donner would be in the same group as me. We all picked up our floorball equipment, the hockey-like stick and the plastic balls. Miss Monire called out our names and fortunately, me and Alice got to be in the same time. When we saw each other we did a high-five with our sticks.

"Alright girls, settle down. I know this is our first match in floorball and I hope this turns out to be a good game. Remember girls, the most common injury you get from this game isn't your backache, but rather a swollen face. Be mindful of your sticks and DO NOT raise it up so high to hit the ball. We are playing floorball, not golf." A few girls snickered at Ms Monire's words.