Chapter 42

"Oh, come on! Ruck over!" I threw my arms up in frustration and clasped my hands on top of my head as I witnessed a turnover of ball possession from my team to the opposing team. My arm was well enough to be left out of the sling, and it felt okay, but was just a bit unstable and delicate. I wasn't expecting to return to watching my college team play, but I couldn't stop myself from going. The heart wrenching emptiness was impossible to ignore when there was no rugby in my life...

"Hey! You're letting this get to you too much! You've been yelling for almost half an hour! You're gonna lose your voice by tomorrow!" JB walked up to me from behind, slinging an arm around my shoulders. I laughed.

"I can't not let it get to me. This is my game!" I jumped up and down energetically, showing him how into the game I was, not that he needed proof.

I smiled up at him and he raised an eyebrow, studying me. "...What?"

"Nothing," he brushed off, smiling and kissing the side of my head affectionately. This was one of Got7's few days off, and I'd made it clear I was coming to watch this rugby game, and JB was the only person willing to stand out in the cold outdoors with me. I wasn't really worried about gaining the public's attention by being here with JB, mostly because he was wrapped up so warmly, even I could barely recognize him.

"Aren't you cold?" he asked. I looked down at my track pants and rugby sweater, shrugging and turning to JB.

"Not really... Why? Are you?"

"It must be because you're bouncing all around in angst. It's freezing, Yunseo!" he laughed cheerfully, his shoulders slightly shrugged to prevent him from shivering and hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"Let's go warm up inside," I suggested, turning around and linking arms with him backwards, walking while pulling him backwards. He laughed, and turned around to face the same way as me, holding my hand in his and opening the door for me.

I lead him to one of the gyms that wasn't being used, grabbing a basketball from the storage room while JB stripped off his outdoor layers.

"Who starts?" I asked him.

"I feel like I should let you have an advantage. Go for it," JB teased, approaching me on defense.

"Your call!" I challenged, forcing him out of the way with my good shoulder, performing a nice layout and making the basket.

"Woah, woah, woah! You gotta stop being so good at everything!" I laughed, retrieving the ball and approaching him.

"Maybe you should just step up your game," I suggested playfully. He put his arm through the gap with which I was holding the ball, driving down his body weight on the ball and forcing it out of my hands and into his, like I would in a rugby game. "Damn! Pickin' up some rugby techniques!" I laughed and JB smiled proudly.

"I've watched you and Autumn enough, how can I not pick something up?" he laughed too, teasingly dribbling the ball in front of me while I tried to win it back, failing miserably and ending up laughing on the floor as JB made a basket.

"Maybe you're not as good at basketball after all," JB joked, lying on the gymnasium floor next to me.

"I'm not used to bouncing a ball while running," I smiled. "You can't really do that in rugby... Ughh."

"Yunseo..." JB groaned, rolling over to me and hugging me. "I don't know what to say that can comfort you. It makes me feel awful just hearing you talk about it." I laughed.

"You don't have to say anything. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually..."

"Have you ever thought of coaching a team? Like a high school or community team?" I sat up. How had that never occurred to me?

"I never thought of that! You're a genius!"

"I know," JB joked, sitting up too and I playfully pushed him back onto the floor, the two of us laughing.

**********************************************

"Does your school have a rugby team?" I asked as soon as I saw Yugyeom sitting at the kitchen counter with Autumn, doing math.

"No... I think we have a couple of guys who play rugby, but not a team. Why?" he replied, only half paying attention to me.

"JB suggested I coach since I can't play, so I need a team. What do you think? Would anyone in your school be into that?"

"I barely go to school... I have no idea. Try it. There's probably a ton of guys who would want to try. Recruit some footballers. Not sure about the girls though..."

"All I need is about 20 players. I'll go to the school tomorrow. I'm so pumped right now!"

"Let me come play defense when you're scrimmaging!" Autumn added, and I felt her excitement too. I nodded, smiling.

"Forget about defense! You can be my co-coach!" I smiled.

JB was right. Since I can't play, I might as well pass on my knowledge of the game to people who want to learn. And with the results of my shoulder MRI coming to me in a few weeks' time, I might as well enjoy the time I have now. I know it's going to be hard just watching, but at least I can teach them, and potentially create an undefeatable team, if all goes to plan. There's no way I can live without my passion for the game, and there's no better way to spread my passion than through teaching others the tricks and trades of the game.