Chapter 22

Dayna strolled down the empty street towards the infirmary, she knew she was late but she and Denise didn't really punch a time clock, so a few minutes here or there never mattered. There was a chill in the air that made her glad she had on a light jacket. Winter was right around the corner and Dayna was grateful that she had a place to stay warm this year. She didn't want to experience another winter outdoors again. Alexandria was a godsend to her.

When she entered the infirmary building she saw that Denise was talking to a woman that she had seen around but didn't really know, so she went into the supply room to give them some privacy. If she was needed, then Denise would call her. She pulled the inventory pad from the shelf and slowly started counting supplies and noting their amounts. Once they had an accurate idea of what they had and what was needed they could give the list to Glenn so they could keep an eye out for the items during runs.

Last week, Dayna had found a surprise delivery outside the door to the infirmary when she arrived that morning to open up. There were two duffle bags filled with supplies and meds. She recognized they were from the two veterinary offices she and Daryl had visited but they didn't have the room to bring back everything. It made her sad to think that he had gone back without her. Dayna appreciated that he went back to get them, but she had wished he had asked her to go with him.

What had gone wrong? She wished she had a clue on what had happened between them. One minute all was good between them, no make that awesome and then it was gone in a flash. Sure they were getting hot and heavy and guys loved that, but she could never imagine Daryl just using her for the sex that never happened. Dayna just knew he wasn't like that. Something had scared him off and no matter how hard she tried to figure it out, she had no idea what it could be.

Dayna heard the outside door close and figured that the patient had left, but she continued doing inventory in the supply room. She needed this monotonous work to help keep her mind off Daryl. She was counting boxes of surgical gloves when Denise joined her in the room. "Thanks for getting started," Denise told her. "Connie Stark said she felt dizzy this morning and wanted me to check her out. Didn't find anything...as usual."

"She's been in for that before?" Dayna asked absently as she counted the few ace bandages they had.

"I think she likes having someone to talk to more than anything. So, do you want to count or record?" Denise asked.

"I'll count," Dayna replied handing the notebook to Denise. They worked together for the next few hours recording inventory and taking stock of the surgical equipment. The previous doctor had been a surgeon so he had above normal instruments and assorted machines like a heart monitor and an EKG. Dayna checked the machines to make sure they were in working order and luckily all was good. When they eventually break down, they will be out of vital pieces of equipment.

Morning turned to afternoon and after a short lunch break, they decided to tackle the drug cabinet. Dayna was about to put the key into the lock when they heard a screeching of tires out front. They both looked at each other in surprise as cars weren't typically allowed this far inside Alexandria, only Daryl's bike came inside. Instantly they knew something was seriously wrong.

Dayna ran for the door with Denise on her heels and skidded to a stop as they met Sheri as she was coming inside to get help. Dayna pushed past Sheri as she stopped to tell Denise what was going on. Dayna knew this was the group from the supply run that was due back yesterday. Her worried eyes quickly took in that Heath and Martin were opening the back of the van. That left Daryl and Rosita in the back...one of them must be injured.

The men flung the back doors to the van open and Dayna's heart stopped for a brief second. Rosita was leaning over an unconscious Daryl. She was pressing a bloody cloth against his left side. Daryl was covered in blood, as was the dirty floor of the van. It looked positively awful.