.:.1.:.

Lapis laid stationary on the couch, her arm dangling over the edge precariously above a bowl of water (Amethyst's idea, of course). She was still pretty much comatose from the experience with Malachite. Being fused with Jasper for so long put her in physical and mental anguish until she could no longer fight back, and she was exhausted from trying.

"I'm surprised she even lasted that long..." Pearl noted, watching carefully over the blue Gem. "Any other Gem would have... well... cracked under the pressure." She managed a feeble chuckle as she worriedly walked over to the Warp Pad with the others.

"Hey, Peridot, come on!" Steven shouted, waving her over. Garnet put a hand on his shoulder.

"No, Steven. We can't just leave Lapis behind without someone to watch her. For all we know... she could still be against us. And she'll be dazed, confused, and scared no matter what. Someone must stay to watch her."

"Why's it gotta be me?!" Peridot scoffed, crossing her arms and pouting like a child.

"You are by far the most inexperienced in Earth defense. You have much to learn. And until we get a chance to train you..." Garnet took a dramatic stance. "... taking care of Lapis is your official Gem business!"

Peridot couldn't really argue, and she sat on the couch near Lapis' head. The Gems shouted their goodbyes to the pair and flew up into the air, teleporting with a blast of blue and white light.

Peridot glanced over to the taller Gem who was lying next to her. She groaned and scowled. "What's so important about you? Why do they like you so much?" She got no response. "I don't get it. I don't know what they see in you. I don't know why I'm the one that has to stay behind." Lapis still did not stir. "... you're a good listener."