Chapter 20

"H-hey, are you OK now?" Naruto whispered to mia that morning as they sat down to talk.

Mia scowled and looked away, folding her arms and hmphing.

Naruto chuckled awkwardly, only to be cut off as sans sent him what seemed to be an annoyed glance, because he wasn't listening.

"So you guys really wanna reach the surface huh?"

" 'Course!" Abby exclaimed. "We have homes up there!"

"What else is there for you up there?"

"Sans?" Naruto asked in confusion.

"Friends!"

"Arent we your friends?"

"We still have to go to school!"

"There's a school down here"

Abby's eyes narrowed. "Sans, what are you trying to prove?"

Sans chuckled. "Ok, I'll spit it out. I'm trying to stop ya from leaving. Cuz if you try to leave, I don't wanna see your heartbroken faces when one of you dies"

"H-huh?!"

"Like- no offence bro- but if you can't beat papyrus without one of you almost dying, then how will you survive out there?"

"No offence taken!"

"B-but!" Mia shouted. "That was just Naruto, the rest of us did fine!"

Naruto tensed. Ok, that comment really did hurt.

"Mia!" Rebecca shouted, frowning disapprovingly across the table. "That was not his fault!"

Mia paused then groaned. "Yeah, I know, I'm just terrified. I don't wanna stay, I wanna go back home!"

Sans paused then sighed. "I want to go home, but I gave up on that a long time ago, there was no way without me dying I realised, and even if you guys do all survive and make it to asgore..."

He looked away. "If you get that far and still wanna leave, one of you will definitely die no matter what. One more soul to break the barrier. If you want to leave, one of you has to die"

He let it sink in.

"T-thats really it then?" James asked, and for the first time ever he sounded scared and uneasy. Clarence put his arm around him.

"Even after hearing that, I have no doubts you still wanna leave. I just have one request-can I come with?"

"What? Why?" Lucy asked.

"Does there need to be a reason?"

"Well... Yeah"

"Too bad"

Kara facepalmed.