The nightingale's cry: Chapter 5

Edited by Shion_Shirosaki

Wait, I'm just a Sergeant... I'm not authorized to have an A.I.!

"Um, why were you given to me? I'm just a Sergeant, I'm no officer." I told Katrina with a confused tone. I'm not that special to deserve an A.I.!

     "I know you are confused James, but an ordinance was passed that every scout who has survived suicide operations should have an A.I. Also the higher the number of operations, the better the A.I." She told me like it was no big deal. "So what A.I class are you?" I heard myself asking.

     "I'm a type 1 Shadow prototype. I'm the only Shadow prototype there is right now." She said with a happily. Katrina really does seem like a shadow with her jet black clothing that seems to be created by a flow of information networks. "A prototype!? How many suicide operations did I do in my lifetime?"

"You have survived and accomplished 21 suicide operations; you are 7th place in the leader board."

There was a leader board for scouts who survived suicide missions?

...No one told me about that."Oh. Okay, but why did they suddenly decide to do this for us scouts?"

"The rate of scouts dying has increased to 63% and they want to keep the best scouts alive." She told me with a smile. "So they want us to stay alive... But why-" Before I could finish my sentence, Karra pulled me out of the load out station. "C'mon dummy head, let's go to this L.t of yours!" She called out before noticing Katrina.

"Um... James why do you have an A.I?" She asked as she looked at Katrina with intense curiosity."That's because the ICC just decided to give scouts who survived suicide operations their very own A.I." I told her as I repositioned my ISP system's console.

"Look at you, you lucky bastard. Getting an A.I even though you're just a Sergeant." Karra snorted as we walked towards the squad's quarters or what the others call the 'nest'. "By the way what is our squad's name?" Said again by none other but Karra.

"What do you mean by squad name, Karra?" I said as I fiddled around my new uniform. Wow, it even has a heating and cooling system! I'll be warm wherever I go." You know, like delta, bravo, or alpha squad. Those kinds of stuff. " She shrugged nonchantaly.

"Well, I don't actually know myself. " I said as I smiled at her."You really are ignorant and stupid." She replied as she gave me a look of disbelief. "May I be of assistance to you two?" Katrina intervened.

"Yes, you may, Katrina. Please enlighten Karra's curiosity."I said as I made faces at Karra. She didn't seem to think it was funny at all.

"The name for your squad is SRN-1."

"SRN-1? SRN stands as?" Karra asked.

"SRN stands for Scarlet Red Nightingale. It is the 5th elite squad of the nightingale division." Katrina replied gleefully."Okay, no more questions. Let's just go back to the SRN-1 quarters." I stated.

I just wanted to play my new game called Advance on Giants...