Chapter one: Popcorn and Dimensional Wormholes

It was in-service teacher work day, giving the students of River High the day off. This gave four friends a chance to hang out. So Charlie, Jade, and Adelaide all gathered at Lyra’s house for a Harry Potter movie mash.

Lyra was running around, constantly saying, “Gotta hurry!” as she made snacks, placed pillows all over the floor, and blacked out all of the windows so that it was nice and dark. She wanted everything to be perfect when her friends got to the house. Two large bowls of popcorn were made, and sodas were in the little cooler off to the side of the room. There were also unopened bags of chips and candy placed next to the cooler.

As Lyra sighed in relief at her finished work, there was a whole bunch of knocking at the door. Excited, Lyra ran to the door and answered it only to see her expected guests. Opening the door widely, she ushered Jade, Charlie, and Adelaide in.

“Welcome to my humble abode.” Lyra joked.

Walking in with sleeping bags, the girls put their stuff down. However, Jade was the first to spot the soda and the-

“MONSTER!” Jade shouted as she dove for the cooler across the room. We all started laughing. No one dared get in her way when it came to Monster energy drinks. The rest of the girls grabbed their own side and a bag or bar of candy.

Lyra then walked over to her DVD multiplayer and put in all eight Harry Potter DVDs. She then grabbed the remote, turned the lights off, and dove in-between Jade and Charlie on the ground.

Adelaide shook her head at Lyra’s childish antics. “It’ll be scary if you ever start acting your age, Lyra.”

Lyra, in retaliation, stuck her tongue out at Adelaide, which only earned her a ‘real mature’.

Then Lyra pressed play and all the girls quieted down. Charlie ate her Kit-Kat, not even realizing that some of the chocolate had melted on her hands, as she watched the baby Harry being placed on the doorstep of his Aunt and Uncle’s house.

That’s when the storm started.

The wind rattled the windows on the house. Rain pounded against the walls and the girls looked at each other. Thunder could be heard clashing in the distance.

“Um, was the weather gloomy when you guys got here?” Lyra asked.

“It was cloudy,” Jade said.

“But it wasn’t this bad,” Charlie was hugging her pillow in fright.

“Maybe we should turn the TV off.” Lyra started for the TV when it gave an implosion. All the girls screamed. They didn’t have time to run. The TV began to form a portal, and then strong wind started to drag the girls toward it. Jade used one hand to latch onto the carpet, and the other one grabbed Charlie. However, she had lost her grip and almost went towards the magic portal of terror; then it was Lyra, then Adelaide. Soon the girls were a human chain.

Adelaide started to slip out of Lyra’s grip. “Adelaide, don’t let go!”

“I can’t help it! Your hands are slippery!” she shouted back. Fear showed in her eyes as she finally lost her grip and released a blood curdling scream.

“Adelaide!” the remaining girls shouted.

Lyra was the next one to slip but Charlie griped her hand as hard as she could.

“Hang on!” Charlie tried to pull Lyra forward, but the portal’s wind was too strong for Lyra and she lost her grip as well.

“Tell my dad I scratched the car!” Lyra shouted before disappearing into the vortex.