Chapter 4: The Sorting Hat's Song. Four Houses, Four Girls

The train came to a stop and all of the students started to pile out. The girls joined hands so they wouldn’t get separated in the mass of older students.

“Nobody let go this time,” Adelaide warned.

“Firs’ Years! Firs’ years over here!”

The girls saw Hagrid towering over the rest of the students. Adelaide pulled the girls with her towards the giant.

Lyra looked around excitedly. She couldn’t wait for the sorting or the magic that was to follow. Jade didn’t know how to feel. She had always hated anything to do with the Harry Potter series, but she’d never even given it a chance. Yet here she was, her heart pounding in her ears. Though she would never openly admit it to the others, she couldn’t wait for school. If Charlie and Lyra heard her say that, she would never live it down.

“Alright, no more than four to a boat,” Hagrid warned.

The Black Lake was beautiful. Charlie could see Hogwarts reflected across its surface. Adelaide quickly claimed a boat. As soon as the first years were all seated, the boats took off by themselves. Charlie and Lyra looked at each other, and could barely contain their excitement.

Adelaide and Jade looked over the boat’s edge into the water, which nearly caused them heart attacks. Less than twenty feet away, a giant tentacle shot out of the water, a fish in its grip.

The boats pulled up to the dock near the castle. One by one, the students got out of their boats. Lyra was the last to get out of their boat. She stood up, and as she was about to step out, she lost her balance. She would have fallen into the lake if Adelaide had not caught her.

“You’re such a klutz, Lyra” Adelaide said giggling.

Lyra smiled sheepishly.

“I’ll take them from here, Hagrid.”  Said a tall witch with square- rimmed glasses. Charlie looked up, instantly recognizing Professor McGonagall.  She led the students into the castle. She stopped in front of a pair of large important-looking doors at the end of a corridor. She then turned to address the students.

“Now, through these doors, you will join your classmates. But first, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.” Lyra saw Draco smirk. “Now, while you’re here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, and any rule-breaking will lose you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup.”

“Trevor!” Neville shouted as he dove for the toad in front of the tall witch. Looking slightly embarrassed, he apologized for interrupting and went back to where he was standing, Trevor now held securely in his hands.

“I’ll be right back. No one is to wonder off,” McGonagall warned them. And with that, she left.

“So it’s true then,” Draco announced to Charlie’s left, “What they’re saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts.”

Jade rolled her eyes as the students around her whispered excitedly.

Draco stepped forward with two other boys at his side.  “This is Crabbe and Goyle,” he said pointing to each of them, “And I’m Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.”

Ron and Lyra giggled, but Ron tried to hide his in a cough.

“Think my name’s funny, do you? No need to ask yours,” Draco sneered at Ron. “Red hair, and hand-me-down robes. You must be a Weasley.” Then he turned to Lyra, “And you’re no one important.

Lyra went to lunge at him, but was caught around the arms by Charlie and Jade. “Well you’re named after a constellation! Your parents must be hippies!” Lyra shouted at him angrily.