Chapter two: Shopping & Gringotts

After Adelaide got her wand, Lyra jumped up to go next. After going through three wands, she found a very nice wand that was made of ash wood and mermaid scales. It was 9 ½ inches. “Good for defensive spells.” Ollivander had said. However, the girls knew that all it had done was given Lyra an excuse to try spells way beyond her capabilities at the moment.

   Next up was Charlie. She was just as enthusiastic about getting a wand as Lyra had been. However after the third wand, she began to lose hope. The fifth wand, she was handed was a willow wand, 11 inches and Pixie wings. It was supposed to be good for levitation spells. When the wand glowed as she touched it, she knew it was her wand.

   Jade was the last to go. She was happy when she got her wand on the third try. Her wand was made of Dragon heartstrings and Cherry wood. It was the largest wand of the entire group, measuring at 13 ½ inches and was supposed to be great for transfiguration.

   Thanking Mr. Ollivander, the girls bought their wands and left the shop.

   “Alright, where to next?” Jade asked.

However, before anyone could answer, Lyra spotted a shop that all the girls knew would be hard to get her out of. Before anyone knew what to do, Lyra took off for the shop across the way, shouting “PET SHOP!!!” as she went. Passersby jumped out of the way to avoid being run over. Her three friends shook their heads in both amusement and embarrassment.

   “We better go get her before she causes a national incident.” Adelaide muttered. The other girls nodded in agreement.

   All three girls ran into the store to see the strangest sight yet.

   Standing there, in the middle of the store; covered from head to toe in owls, rats, cats, and toads; was Lyra. She was grinning from ear to ear.

   “Guys, look, they like me!”

   “Oh God,” Jade said. “How are we ever going to get all of those animals off of her?”

   “Get them off of her?” Charlie questioned, “Hell, we’d be lucky to get her out of the shop!”

   After about ten minutes, and with a little help from the shop owner, all the animals were put back in their cages, much to Lyra’s disappointment.

   “Very strange,” said the shop owner, “In all my years-and all you did was walk in. Very odd indeed,”

   “Well that’s Lyra for you.” Jade said.

   “It’s true,” agreed Lyra. She wasn’t going to deny it. She was, as the shop owner put it, odd.

   “Now, which one of you would like to purchase first? Feel free to look around.” Said the shop keeper as he went to feed a white bat hanging from the ceiling.

   The only animal that refused to leave Lyra’s side was a small black owl that kept moving from side to side on her shoulder. She smiled at him, crisening (sp?) him with the name Fidget.  She got his small cage and the biggest bag of owl treat she could find.

   Jade was not as sure about her selection for an animal as her best friend Lyra, who was cooing to her owl. She walked down the aisle with the owls. To her left, her eyes met with gold almond-shaped ones. The eyes seemed to be burrowing into Jade’s very soul. She knew that this snowy owl was destined to be hers.  .

   Jade held her arm out, and the snowy owl flew to her without hesitation. “Think I’ll call you Demeter.” Jade said aloud. Demeter nibbled on Jade’s shirt affectionately.

    Meanwhile, Adelaide walked confidently to the other side of the pet show where a sign overhead read FELINES. Cats laid lazily on perches and beds. While the kittens chased a poor door mouse around, falling over one another in doing so. Adelaide walked carefully over the kittens and cat tails that seemed to be everywhere as she searched for the perfect feline companion. She stopped when she felt something brush up against her leg. She looked down and smiled. “Ah, there you are.”