Chapter 3

How was your day, my cheeky boy?" Briar asked Adam as she drove him home from school alone; Myles was still at work.
     "It was weird," Adam stated. "Really weird."
     "Weird?" Briar asked curiously, giving her som a small glance before turning her eyes back to the road. "What do you mean?"
     "Well," he began, slurring his word as if his Mother should be preparing for a long story, "I was sitting on a chair, eating my lunch with Martin and Thomas, when I started seeing a tall man, in a black suite. He looked like Martin, but older."
     "Where was he?" Briar began to question. "In the classroom? Talking to your teacher whilst you ate?"
     "No, no, don't be silly Mummy," Adam replied. "I saw him in my mind, when I looked at Martin, of course! And when I looked at Thomas, I saw an older version of him, flying a plane. Weird, right?"
     Briar's expression was filled with shock, confusion, panic and she even seemed a little frightened! Being the good driver she was, she didn't let her son's words disturb her driving; she did not want to crash! But, it was rather strange of him to say, wouldn't you be a little freaked out? Thomas, a piolet? And Martin a business man? What on earth is Adam talking about? she thought while cocking one eyebrow.
     "Did you imagine them, darling?" she asked, trying to find out what he meant.
     "I don't know," he replied bluntly, "I looked at them in their eyes, and saw adults who looked like them! I even looked into my teacher's eyes, and saw an old lady. Who was that lady, Mummy?"
Oh my God! Is this happening? If this is what I think it is, Briar said to herself inside her head, taking in her son's reply. Now, she understood what happened. But, to be sure, she decided that she must talk to Myles as soon as he got back.
     "I'm not really sure, Adam," she replied even though she had an idea of who she was, "but, try to forget about it. Besides, we're here! Go and watch some TV, or practice your football in the garden!"
     "Okay," he said back whilst she parked the car in their driveway, stopping it and helping Adam get out.
     Once they walked inside, Adam did as he was told, and ran out into the garden to play football- well, more practicing scoring goals alone, but Briar didn't mind because she had a chance to talk with Myles whilst Adam was outside.
     Nervously, Briar tapped her perfectly manicured nails on the kitchen's counter top, waiting for Myles to come home. She looked up at the clock and thought, only one or two more minutes, he'll be back any second now.
     And with that thought in mind, Myles bursted through the door, giving Briar a little fright, but he soon cracked a smile.
     "Hey, love," he said, walking closer to her and giving her a kiss on the cheek, "how's my favourite girl?"
Briar smiled a little before returning back to her worried expression. Of course, Myles saw the facial change, and asked in a softer voice, "Hey, what's wrong?"
"I think we may have a problem," she said with a sigh as Myles took hold of her hands, looking into her eyes with a concerned expression.
"And what's that?"