26-Raksha

It had been two weeks since Pietro and I had moved here.

Wanda and the rest of the team had visited multiple times, but no one knew where I went to at night or where I 'lived'.

I had made the cramped area larger and more comfortable by digging more of it out, bringing in leaves and a blanket Pietro had left out to encourage me to sleep on the porch.

It was currently around midnight judging by the position of the moon and an agonizing pain shot throughout my body.

I suppressed a howl of pain as it shot through me a second time. I soon realized that I was in labor and going to have puppies soon.

After what felt like hours of agonizing pain, I moved to the section of my den that had leaves on the floor.

My body was starting to release blood and after what felt like hours, a puppy laid on the floor whimpering for me.

This process repeated three more times before it finally stopped and I was exhausted, but my job wasn't over yet.

I picked up each puppy and placed them onto the blanket before laying on the blanket myself and curling up around them, my back to the door of my den. Shielding them from the dangers and bitter cold of the night.
.
.
.
   I heard the distant whistle that Pietro has used everyday, at least twice a day since we'd gotten here. Except this time, I wouldn't be coming to answer it.

After a few minutes, I heard, "Raksha!" The sound hadn't moved from the house as it didn't sound any closer then it had previously.

My puppies started to whimper, I gave a gentle chuff and lick them for comfort.

They quickly quieted and went back to eating, then taking another nap.

I looked out the door of my den and into the sky. I wondered if Pietro would look for me if I didn't come.

My question was answered an hour later when I heard footsteps coming from two different things heading my way, "Raksha!" It was Pietro.

The scent identified the other person as Clint.

The steps neared the stream you had to cross to get to my home and I heard the splashes as they crossed it.

I quietly and gently lurked out of my den, careful to not disturb or awake my puppies and headed towards Clint and Pietro, growling as they came into my view.