Chapter 08 - Chances

Ace

It's been three days since the party and I'm still dwelling on the events that happened.
Alex, Luke, and my heart.
There's got to be my heart.

How come I heard my heart beat so fast again after decades, but it still feels the same?

No butterflies. No jolting stomach and shit.
Still the same old emptiness I had months ago.
Was it really mine? Could it be an alive heart without anything in it? Please.

I'm thinking nonsense.

I opened my locker and a piece of paper fell out of it. I picked it up and read what was written.

Give me a chance
To mend your heartstrings
To justify the mistake
That gave your heart a break
To make you happy again
and make your sadness end.

I want you back -

I want you back? Who could this be?
I walked going to the classroom, reading it over and over. For a second there, I thought it was just a secret admirer or something. But I want you back?

It should be someone from my past.
I can't point Alex out all the time—but he's the one who came up to my mind when I read the last statement. It should be him, it could be him.

~•~

Back at home, I couldn't wait any longer. I need Chase.

To: Chase
From: Ace

I can't wait for the midnight snacky thing. I need someone to talk to. Get your fucking ass here in three minutes.

I laid on my bed, looking at the fluorescent stars on my ceiling. Could it be him? Could it be Alex?
My head's hurting by the thought of it.

Buzz.

I looked at my phone and got a message from Chase.

On the way. I need someone to talk to as well.

I can't help but—smile. I'm glad I have Chase with me. He's been my bestfriend since we started the deal, and he didn't dare to break my trust. Trust was the foundation of our friendship.

A few moments later, Chase arrived and he sat across me on my bed.

"What are you spilling out to me tonight?" I asked.

"My dad. He has a mistress—kinda. He keeps on popping around the house with his arm around a lady. My mom doesn't know since she stays at Hawaii most of the time for work." He said sternly, tightening his fist. "Only me and my sisters know about it. It's hard, Ace. It's hard."

I just hugged him tightly and I felt his tears on my shoulders.

"Shh." I hushed him and put my hand on his hair. "I know it's hard. Your dad's a jackass."

Chase smells really nice. I could hug him for ages.

"Talk to your dad about it." I added.

He just kept quiet. Seconds later, he pulled away from our hug and laughed.

"I look like an idiot."

"Yeah, you do." I teased. "But always know that I'm here for you if you wanna let out some stuff."

"Yeah. I'm counting on that." he let out a small smile and shifted his eyes at my hand. "What's that?"

I didn't realize I was holding the piece of paper the whole day. I handed it to him and he read it.

"Wow. A secret admirer." he looked at me with a knowing grin. "Wants you back huh? I know someone."

"Really?" I asked and waited for him to speak.

I was waiting for him to mention the name that was in my head. "Lucas."
All my hope was thrown out of the window.

"What? He wasn't even my ex or something."

"He was your preschool sweetheart. That's still counted as "ex", right?" he was deep in thought. "Then he started liking you again when he danced with you during the masquerade ball last year."

Then it hit me. His voice was familiar. And he was my first puppy love, I just forgot about him.
Last year at the Juniors' Masquerade Ball, I took off my mask but my partner didn't. I only knew the voice. That voice, it should be him.

"I don't know if I should give him a chance, Chase. At the party, I thought I fell for him—but I didn't." I said. He looked at me like he wanted me to continue what I was saying.

"I thought I was hearing my heart beating fast, but I didn't feel anything special that time. I just know I heard my heart beating." I sighed.

"Maybe you're right." he said, scrolling through something on his phone.

"What do you mean?"

He faced the screen of his phone to me. It was showing a message of Luke.

To: Chase
From: Luke

Bro, Ace danced with me. I felt like my heart was going to explode, fuck. My heart was like thump thump and I was trying so hard to shift my chest away from her head so she won't hear it or something.

I looked back at Chase with a puzzled look plastered on my face.

"So.. It wasn't mine?"

"I guess so." Chase sighed. "So.. you don't like him? Even a little bit?"

"I don't. You know what? Let's cancel the deal. Though I still want the midnight snacks, I'd rather not continue my plan of revenge if it means dating someone I don't even like. It's like hurting someone in the process. Luke doesn't deserve that."

He eyed me seriously then smiled widely. "Let's keep up the Midnight snacks. Our dear Honor there doesn't even cook, and it'd be my fault if you starved to death all of a sudden."

"I like that." I smiled widely. A true, genuine smile. "I thought for a second there that it would be hard to put back the softness in you. I was wrong."