D.T.T.K |1|

|Baby 15|

|Kehlani Carter| Lani 🔥😘

"Shhh you gonna wake ha ass up" I heard Izria try to whisper as Ariana stumbled over the pair of shoes I had by my desk in my bedroom.

I was peacefully asleep until...

"Happy Birthday Sis!!"

"Happy birthday Lani!" Ariana and Izria screamed in unison and jumped onto my bed.

Isaiah thought it would be cute to pull out his ipod and start blasting French Montana's "All The Way Up" jumping on top of me.

"Ughhh Isaiah turn that off, Ari, Iz stop! Could ya'll have at least let me sleep in on my birthday I had a 15 hour shift last night with no breaks." I said as I sat up on my bed and pulling my hair into a ponytail.

"I'm sorry Lani we were just trying to give you the best birthday ever" Isaiah said pouting his lip out.

"Yea boo we was really just tryna make ya twenty-third birthday the best." Ariana said shaking her head and getting off the bed along with Isaiah and Izria.

"I'm sorry my loves I'm just tired but I'm up now okay let's go eat and have some fun aight?" I said getting out of bed and kissing Isaiah on his head.

"Kehlani Milian don't kiss me when you still haven't brushed yo teeth." Isaiah said in disgust and whipped my kiss of his head.

I laughed and shook my head at him for a 10 year old he's way to much. They walked out of my room as I proceeded to the other door in my room that led to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror while I brushed my teeth as I took in the memories from last night at work.

Baby #15 passed away, but to me she wasn't just a number in the hospital books, she was way more than all of that. Her name was Aaleeyah Rose Garcia. Her mom was a Puerto Rican 19 year old girl from South side Brooklyn, she died giving birth to her premature baby. Her father wasn't ever in the picture. After putting up a fight for 6 months baby Aaleeyah Rose passed. I took it hard, I cared for her as if she was my own daughter. I take my job very seriously and I grow special bonds with these babies.

I threw cold water on my face as I shook the memories away. I showered, got dressed and met everyone downstairs.

"Aight so where y'all taking me for my birthday?" I said as I fixed my skirt and rolled up the sleeves of my jean jacket.

"Dave and Busters!" Isaiah shouted causing an echo to erupt through the house.

Ariana and Izria glanced at me giving me that 'is you down' look and of course I said yes. I might be turning 23 years old but this girl here, still is a child at heart.

After spending more than half of our day playing games and winning prizes it was time to go back home. I had a great day being with my best friends and my little brother. I don't need to be showered in gifts as long as I see a smile on Isaiah's face that's the best gift anyone could ever give me.

It was pretty late, just around 12:30 in the morning. While me and the girls were downstairs taking shots Isaiah was sound asleep in his room. There was a sudden banging on my door and I almost had a panic attack. Who the hell would be knocking at my door this late at night?

I opened the door shut it right back in his face. What makes him think it's okay to come here. I made it clear to him that I didn't want him in my life anymore.

"Lani please I need your help, please jus open the door." He sounded like he was in pain, his breathing even shortening.

"Chris what do you want, I told you we not friends anymore" I said getting a bit loud since the door was shut.