Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            Angrily, I made my way up to my room where I found Sophie already asleep in her bed.  I quietly changed into a pair of Fred’s old sweatpants and t-shirt (aka my PJs) and climbed into bed.  Not even two minutes later I heard a soft knocking at my door.  “Hey Love, come on, let me in.  We need to talk,” Fred hissed from the hallway, clearly trying to keep his voice down due to a sleeping household. 

            “No Fred, we can talk tomorrow,” I hissed back.

            “Just for two minutes,” he insisted.

            I rolled my eyes and mentally groaned at his persistence.  “Fred, you and I both know I had a few too many drinks to be having any intelligent conversations so go to sleep and we’ll talk about whatever in the morning.  The end.  Good night.”  Not hearing anymore protest from Fred, I fell asleep figuring he’d gone to his room for the night. 

            In the morning I surprisingly woke up before Sophie.  Even more surprising than that was the fact that I wasn’t hung over.  Feeling overly happy about the world for so early in the morning I decided I’d go down to the kitchen to make everyone breakfast.  However, what I found when I opened the door killed my mood completely.  Fred was laying in the hallway, having fallen asleep outside the door.  Feeling the door open behind him, he woke up with a start.  “Oh, hey Love,” he yawned, stretching his arms and back a bit.

            “What the bloody hell are you doing on the floor?!” I whispered to Fred as he stood up sleepily.

            “You said we would talk in the morning so I figured this would be the best way to talk as early as we could…plus I wasn’t going to be able to sleep well with this hanging over me anyway,” he shrugged and followed me as I headed downstairs.  “Where are we going?”

            “Well, seeing as every other person in the house is asleep, I was going down to the kitchen to make French toast and eggs for breakfast.  We can talk while I cook.”  The two of us remained silent until I had all of the ingredients and was ready to start.

            “Why are you so angry with me, Love?” Fred asked, crossing his arms and leaning against the wall.

            I sighed and began making breakfast, my back to Fred.  “It’s not so much that I’m angry as it is I’m frustrated.”

            “Okay…why?”

            “Because, Fred,” I started to explain, “I love you more than I’ve ever loved a guy and it just hurts when you think I’d want anybody else because it means I haven’t shown you that.”  At this point, a few silent tears were falling.

            Fred must have walked over to me while I spoke because he slipped his arms around my waist and kissed my neck gently.  “Love, I know you do, but I’m just so worried some other guy will come in and sweep you off your feet.”

            I turned around in his arms to look him square in the face.  “Fred Weasley, that will never happen.”  Without another word he leaned down and kissed me.

            “EWWY!” Sophie yelled from the doorway where she stood holding George’s hand.

            “Ew is right,” George agreed, nodding somberly and the two sat down at the table.  “So, what is the lovely Maddie cooking up for breakfast?”

            “French toast and eggs,” I smiled at George from over Fred’s shoulder.  “Which I should get back to.”  I turned back to the eggs, but Fred never took his arms from around me.