Another Arse-Kicker

The only sounds in the classroom were the drone of the teacher's voice and the clacking of her chalk striking the black board.

Merida glanced up from her doodling to check the time. It felt like an eternity had passed since she had last looked, but the hands of the battered clock hadn't budged an inch.

She moaned. Why did time always have to stop in maths? Why not during lunch or break?

Fortunately, Miss Trexler didn't hear her. She simply continued writing problems on the board with her back to the class, her sleek black ponytail bobbing up and down like it had a life of its own.

It was the very last day of school before the summer holidays, but when they had walked into their last period of the day expecting sunshine and fun times, they were instead greeted with maths and despair.

Among the rest of the class, the silence was pervading. The two girls in front of her sat idly braiding each others' hair. The boy to her right had his head buried in his arms, and she could hear him snoring softly.

Merida lay her head against the cool wood of the desk and closed her eyes. She was ready to follow the boy into oblivion, until someone behind her pressed a crumpled up piece of paper into her hand.

She sat up quickly and unfolded the note, eager for anything that might alleviate the oppressive boredom.

Have you got your Hogwarts letter yet? - Ed

Nope, not yet RILEY

me neither. Max.

Thats if they want Max

Stop it Luke. Max, ignore him - Ally x

Yeah, Luke, or you'll end up in Slythers RILEY

At least theyve got some ambition

buuurn. Max

Ask Merida if she's got hers

Merida rolled her eyes at her friends' antics, and after picking up her - rather chewed - pen, she wrote:

Haven't got it yet. Luke, shut your face..

Without turning around, she held it out to Luke, who sat directly behind her. She expected him to snatch it from her fingers, but instead he pushed her hand away. Merida glanced back at him, confused. Luke's muddy brown eyes were wide, fixed on a point above her head.

Oh. Merida thought, her heart sinking as she turned around.

"Dunbroch," Miss Trexler said coldly, glaring down her long nose.

"Yes Miss?" Merida asked nervously. Trexler was the only teacher that sort of scared her.

Trexler smiled like she had razor sharp fangs, and held out her hand for the note. "I'll take that."

Reluctantly Merida dropped the paper into her palm. Miss Trexler returned to the front of the room, her high heels clicking against the hard floor.

Merida turned in her seat. Her friends stared at her in horror, and it was all she could do to shrug helplessly. Oops.

She swivelled back around. Miss Trexler unfolded the note and her eyes began darting back and forth across the page.

"What is this?" She asked sharply, looking directly at Merida.

Merida raised her eyebrows. "Paper, miss."

A few snorts and giggles echoed around the class but the small group of magical children, sitting near the back, were void of any humour. They watched with eyes widened by anxiety.