How To ( Potty ) Train Your Dragon

Author's Note:

T: Happy New Year's!

E: Hush it's not quite New Year's yet.

T: It's close enough.

E: we hope you all had an amazing Christmas. 2018 is gonna be awesome. Especially for us as we're meeting face to face for the FIRST TIME!

T: She's a bit excited can you tell?

E: In the meantime, have a chapter as a late Christmas present from us!

T: Or a blessing for the new year!

E: Enjoy! :D

Disclaimer: It's a new year, and a new chance to try and legally adopt these characters as our own, but once again we've had little success. So these characters aren't ours, nor is the world we're playing around in. (For now.)

XXXX

Hiccup lay awake, staring at the packed dirt ceiling above him, lumpy and deformed in the darkness. The other boys in his room were fast asleep, their breathing even and calming, except for one boy in the corner, whose snoring was practically a dragon's roar it was so loud. Despite the snoring, the overall atmosphere in the room was peaceful and lulling, yet he couldn't stop his legs from jittering.

The case at the foot of his bed, still untouched from when he'd first arrived, rattled.

Hiccup held his breath, his whole body freezing in place. The rhythm of breathing from the other four boys didn't change.

He relaxed, letting out a breath that was more like a sigh. Five more minutes. Just to be sure.

The case rattled again.

Ok, make that three.

As it always does in situations like these, time seemed to slow, every second taking three times as long as it should have. By now, Hiccup's legs were practically doing a jig under the covers.

30 seconds.

10.

Give it 5 more.

When he reached zero, Hiccup whipped back the duvet and swung his legs over the side of his bed. His feet, sweaty with nerves, stuck to the hardwood floor as he stood up. Lifting them created a squick, small enough to barely be noticeable, but still it made Hiccup wince. Could nothing be silent? Internally, he sighed. It would have to do. Slowly and carefully, making every effort not to make a single noise (and failing miserably), he made his way to the foot of his bed and knelt before the case.

He unlatched it--- and immediately tumbled backwards as a black blur crashed into his chest. The next thing he knew, a rough tongue was licking his face and neck, while sharp little claws dug into his bony shoulders.

Hiccup couldn't help but laugh soundlessly in relief, even if the claws did hurt a little, pricking and prodding him all over. At least his dragon was okay.

"Hey bud," Hiccup scratched Toothless behind his jaw, the way he knew he liked it. Toothless nuzzled into the palm of his hand, his eyes closed in pleasure. Hiccup felt the weight of the dragon pressing against his chest and sat up before the little beast could get too comfortable. "Come on, Bud," he whispered. "I bet you're hungry."

Toothless's eyes snapped open and he rolled off of Hiccup's chest and onto the floor with a thump. Hiccup leaned down, balancing himself on his forearms, to look into the dragon's piercing green eyes. Anyone else would have been intimidated, staring down at a dragon, even a small one. Hiccup just smiled.