Goodbye

It took almost 3 hours in order for them to clear the back and lead the Roamers away from the jeeps and the front doors. We also nearly lost 3 people during it, thankfully we didn't. It then took another 2 hours to get the jeeps working and to get gas into them. The jeeps kept making a lot of sound when they would try and start it, drawing some Roamers. We would either have to draw them away, which was better for our souls, or we would have to kill them.  We all knew that they had been people at one time and it made it harder for us to "quiet" them as I like to say.

    "Lynch, were all set outside" Livenston said. "Okay, give me a minute" I replied. I walked from the lobby and to Mrs. Baker's old room, this is where some of the cotts were located and that's where I knew I could find most of my friends. I walked in and immediately saw that most of my friends were there, but Montie wasn't there. She would probably be on the roof, she went up to the roof often. She liked to have a quiet place to draw or to read. I went up the roof as well, I did it to look at the forest behind the school. I said goodbye to my friends in the room and then set out for the roof.

    I got to the rooftop access door, opened it and walked up to the roof. She was sitting on the edge of the left side of the roof top with her legs dangling over the edge. Her sketch book was with her as she was drawing, her pencils neatly arranged to her right. The shades of color from darkest to lightest. "Hey" I said. Without looking up from her work, she replied with "Hey, you guys heading out now?" "Yeah, Livenston wants to leave really soon and get to Baltimore before nightfall" I replied. "Well," she looked up and I could see that she was afraid I wouldn't return "I wish you didn't go, but I know that your their only hope of getting into the shipyard and clearing it out." 

    "To be honest Montie... I'm really scared. I don't want to go" I admitted. She looked at me, in a perplexed way, "You are?" she asked. "Yeah, I've been terrified about this since I told them about it, I also heard that the reason we haven't had electricity is 'cause they dropped a ton of EMPs on the cities, along with nukes" I said. "N-Nukes?" she said with her voice nearly breaking. "Yeah, one of the refugees here said that some of the Roamers were killing people before they even bit them... it really sucks" I admitted. I walked over to the edge and sat down with her for a minute, then I said "Well, I'm gonna go meet Livenston down in the lobby right now so... g-". "Your not leaving forever, don't say 'goodbye'" she interrupted. "Deal" I laughed.

    We hugged and then i went down to the lobby to meet up with Livenston. "Where's your weapon?" Livenston asked. "I don't have one." I said. "Not even a gun?" "Not even a gun." He sighed. "Is there any weapon you are good at using then?" I thought for a second and then replied with "close ranged weapons, like swords, baseball bats, pipes, and other stuff like that." It looked like he almost smiled "Well then I guess i have just the thing you could ask for." I was extremely confused "And what is that? A kami katana?" "A kacuna whata? No, its a pipe." I sighed, "A kami katana. Other wise known as a demon slayer. My father had one that my step sister must have taken or hidden." "Oh okay, sorry."

    He looked out at the courtyard and smiled at the parking lot. "Well I guess it's time to leave. You ready now?" "Yes, i'm as ready as i'll ever be". With that we set off toward the door and the jeeps with two squads behind us.