Anxiety Disorders

Anxiety Disorders - are a category of mental disorders characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear, where anxiety is a worry about future events and fear is a reaction to current events. These feelings may cause physical symptoms, such as a racing heart and shakiness.

The term "anxiety" covers four aspects of experiences that an individual may have: mental apprehension, physical tension, physical symptoms and dissociative anxiety.

Anxiety disorders are partly genetic but may also be due to drug use including alcohol and as well as withdrawal from certain drugs.  

There are a number of anxiety disorders, including:

>GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER- a state of intense and prolonged anxiety manifested concern, apprehension and tense anticipation. It is usually characterized by occurrence of uncertain, "free floating" fear or chronic anxieties that do not necessarily have to be tied to a specific substance or situation in which a person is ( like those in the case of phobias).

SIGN AND SYMPTOMS (GAD):

-Rapid or pounding heart, upset stomach, swelter, cold or warm waves through the body, trembling, pain or other discomfort in the chest, numbness of the whole or part of the body, dizziness or unsteadiness.

MAJOR RISK FACTORS FOR GAD:

-Inhibited temperament, parental anxiety, teens who smoke are found to be at risk for developing anxiety.

TREATMENT FOR GAD:

1. Medications- the drugs act by reducing the physical symptoms of GAD such as muscle tension and restlessness. Newer antidepressants are also used for treatment of GAD.

2. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy- Learning to recognize and change behavior patterns that lead to troublesome feelings. This type of therapy helps limits distorted thinking by looking at worries more realistically.

3. Relaxation Technique and biofeedback can also help control muscle tension.

>SPECIFIC PHOBIA- Irrational, exaggerated perception of impending danger and unabating fear of particular object, activity or situation.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS (SP):

-Disruption in functioning, immediate anxiety response,strong, constant, irresistible conscious desire to avoid certain unpleasant situation, facial flushing, chills, dry mouth, sweaty palms, increase desire to urinate, palpitations.

TREATMENT FOR SP:

1. Relaxation 

2. Psychotherapy

3. Medicine

4. Cognitive- Behavioral Therapy

>SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER- intense fear in social situations where people have irrational thoughts that is negatively evaluated. An irrational fear that one's behavior in a public situation will be mocked or criticized by others.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS (SAD):

A. Emotional Symptoms: Excessive self-consciousness and anxiety in everyday situations, expectation of social gathering for days in fear, extreme fear that you will observe the second or judge you, fear that you will embarrass or humiliate somehow, fear that others will notice that you are nervous.

B. Physical Symptoms: Flushing of the face, shortness of breath, "butterflies" in the stomach, shivering and trembling voice, rapid heartbeat, sweaty palms (often cols sweat), dizziness.

C. Symptoms related to Behavior: Avoidance of social situations, hiding in the corner in silence to avoid attention and potential shame, difficulty seeing in the eyes of others, need to bring s friend with you, refusal to return defective items to the store or to appeal any poor service.

TREATMENT OF SAD:

1. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy

2. Medications

>SEPARATION ANXIETY DISORDER- anxiety due to separation reflected the distinct anxiety (restlessness) when the person is away from home or when away from people close.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS (SepAnx):

- takes atleast a month, leads to great stress and prevents normal functioning, do not like to travel alone, frequent sleep problems, nightmares may manifest their fears, headaches or stomachaches.

TREATMENT (SEPANX): 

1. Therapy

2. Medications

>PANIC DISORDER- a psychological state characterized by more or less frequent (un) expected panic attacks accompanied by significant changes in behavior, and lifestyle that lasts atleast a month. Panic disorder is often combined with other serious conditions such as depression, alcoholism or drug abuse.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS (PANIC DISORDER):

-shortness of breath, palpitations or chest pain, intense feeling of fear/ despair, dizziness, shivering, sweating, nausea or stomach pain, tingling  in the fingers, feeling of loss of control and fear of defeat.

TREATMENT OF PANIC DISORDER:

1. Psychotherapy

2. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy

3. Medication